2013/05/09 11:08:38
steelhead1994
I wanna catch one... Preferably Shenango or Moraine, although I'm not very familiar with these lakes they are the closest to me (that I know of) that have em. I would be fishin from either shore or my 'yak. Any places, baits, or tips in general would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron
2013/05/10 08:59:40
eye crosser
Right now they are close in to shore.  I cast one of the storm minnows in 1/4 or 1/2 oz. up on to bars and shallow points.   They will crush them.  

As for live bait fish, use a shiner just like you would for northerns or muskies.  Make sure you have a good weight line 10#+(no leader) and a reel that has a good drag you will need it.

Nows a good time since they are getting ready to spawn.   Late summer in August or early September they will school up and chase shad  on the surface.  They seem to prefer to feed where ever there is a sharp drop off.

On days when it's dead calm they are easy to spot the feeding frenzy that occurs when they go on the feed.  One and two lb. shad are jumping like crazy trying to get away.

You get a hold of a big one in that yak be prepared to have it tow you around for a while  I've caught them while trolling for eyes and when you line goes limp and starts to head in front of the boat faster than your trolling you know that your going to have a battle on your hands.

Moraine would be a better place to fish from the yak since Shenago has the bigger hp baots running around.
2013/05/10 15:22:26
Porktown
I've never had much luck with the plastic swim baits at Arthur for hybrids, which has me perplexed.  The purebreds in the ocean and bays love them, and assuming the hybrids in Shenango like them too.  This cold front pushing through will likely have them lock jawed for a little while.  Hopefully it pushes through a bit faster than they are saying.  Use the search button for hybrids, wipers, ect.  There is enough info to write 5 books on this site...  Good luck.
2013/05/10 16:24:55
eye crosser
I never caught anything on the Storm plastics until I tried them for a whole season and they produced after I found out to use them the right way.  I was using them to slow.  found that I had to really rip,twitch and hop them hard.   But once I got the hang of it they produced really well.  Last year they produced really well at Shenango in the early part of the year.  The large mouth also seemed to like them.   Tried them at Pymie for the larger eyes and nothing.

I trolled the 1/2 oz. ones last summer (3.5 mph)just like you would troll for muskies right in the prop wash.  Get it to run right on the surface skipping in the wake and they would hit better than any muskie.  Biggest was a 33 incher last September.
2013/05/10 17:42:54
rippinlip
I've caught some of my biggest Largemouth on swimbaits.Seen a few fishing shows where they used them on Musky with good results.
2013/05/11 08:39:31
A1H Skyraider
If your not opposed to the river, the outflow of the shenango produces some nice hybrids every year, got my largest hybrid a few years back there with a jig walleye fishing. Have had luck though with yozuri cranks at night just below the dam when targeting them.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
2013/05/27 21:50:38
TransAmWS6
Fish the outflows on the rivers. They're 10x stronger when you hook one out of the rivers
2013/05/27 21:55:29
slabdaddy
I caught my first striper 2 weeks ago on Shenango. I caught two of them. They weren't very big, but they were stripers! Now I can cross them off of my list.
2013/05/28 07:33:17
rippinlip
Not yet....wait till you hook a 15 or 20 pounder. trUst mE
2013/05/28 07:47:58
jmat5
I caught one on Moraine about 5 years ago on ultra light gear while fishing for Crappie. It was about an 8 pounder. Took about 25 min to get it to the boat on that gear. What a thrill.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account