2013/05/14 13:23:00
Billy7
I have a Tundra 21 foot Deep V boat.  I have been up as far as Kittanning pool.  Does anyone know how far i can go up north with this boat?  Also suggested areas for the boat launch.  Targetting small mouth.

Thanks
2013/05/14 23:34:27
Jetboater
The dam at Kittanning is Lock 7.  Next one upstream is Lock 8, launch ramp is at Cowanshannock Creek, on the river road out of Kittanning.  Next is Lock 9, ramp for that one is at Templeton.  You can run the last pool above Lock 9 for maybe 5 miles or so.  That launch ramp is at East Brady.
All these ramps are big and modern.  You'll have no problems with any size boat in the dam pools if you're careful.  There are some shallow and rocky spots below the dams.
I think all those locks are closed this year, so you have to trailer from one pool to the next.
2013/05/15 07:47:35
Erie Mako
Cowanshannock Creek is still in pool 7.
That one is kind of tight to launch & load from...not much room behind you when you back off the trailer. Yes a concrete ramp, but the banks of the creek are very muddy and soft.
A word of advice if you use the Cowanshannock ramp...inspect your trailer and your wheel lugs, I had lugs stolen off the trailer and didn't know it untill the wheel almost came off. Another guy that I know that uses that ramp also had the same problem.

Templeton ramp is pool 8.
2013/05/15 09:33:43
Accountant
Erie Mako

That one is kind of tight to launch & load from...not much room behind you when you back off the trailer. Yes a concrete ramp, but the banks of the creek are very muddy and soft.
A word of advice if you use the Cowanshannock ramp...inspect your trailer and your wheel lugs, I had lugs stolen off the trailer and didn't know it untill the wheel almost came off. Another guy that I know that uses that ramp also had the same problem.

is there even a good reason to steal wheel lugs?  or is it just a bunch of locals being jagoffs
2013/05/15 10:08:56
Fisherlady2
Accountant

Erie Mako

is there even a good reason to steal wheel lugs?  or is it just a bunch of locals being jagoffs

We figured the locals... or if not actual locals we have seen folks bank fishing at the ramp and they have to pull in their lines for boats to pass.   So no, there is no reason to steal them... and jagoff would be the politest of the terms I was using for them when we had to drop the trailer on a roadside pulloff and I waited with it while EM went into Kittanning to get replacement lugnuts at Walmart in the middle of the night.
2013/05/15 10:24:44
BoroMusky
Set up a trail cam on your wheels! Bust em! That'd be awesome... until they see the flash of the camera and steal that too...

2013/05/15 21:55:46
kayak99
BoroMusky

Set up a trail cam on your wheels! Bust em! That'd be awesome... until they see the flash of the camera and steal that too...

Infrared game cam = no flash!
2013/05/30 09:02:34
JEB
Just run some power to the trailer, give them a shock !

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account