2013/06/19 21:10:07
phishfearme
good suggestion - i just find it hard to drive over 3 hours one way to wade the shore and hope.  i've done some shore fishing - especially along the allegheny near lock 3 and found it to be a waste of time.  have walked many miles in waders chasing trout - only good for about 6 weeks in late april thru may.

i still think i'd rather spend some time elsewhere - montana for trout and northern ontario for walleye and pike.  remember the NUMBER 1 rule of successful fishing - go where the fish are.

phish
2013/06/19 21:52:47
Bdugg
F to F
I agree, arthur and wilhelm have a large amount of bait fish to compete with. In the future this could relate to bigger fish??? CC just sucks, way over fished. Pyma is good still but has its issues as well, last year you could not even put in due to water levels. This year so far so good.
2013/06/20 09:26:20
troutguy
I don't fish any of the mentioned lakes much at all, so I don't have much to add, but if you guys get a chance check out the recent biologist report for Arthur.  It's mainly about musky, but it also mentions other species.  And the lake is full of alewives, which is why the PFBC thinks the fishing is tough because there is just so much forage. 

phishfearme

have walked many miles in waders chasing trout - only good for about 6 weeks in late april thru may.

phish

Say what now??

2013/06/20 09:35:57
Cold
Say what now??

After that, I guess the phish fear him too much and refuse to bite.
2013/06/20 10:57:53
woodnickle
20 eyes yesterday with 2 keepers...no problems here...:)
2013/06/20 11:02:39
FishinGuy
It's all about knowledge. F2F, maybe try focusing on one or two lakes all season and get to know them better, rather than fishing a bunch of places without actually spending the time to figure them out.
2013/06/20 17:04:24
Accountant
it doesnt matter if its north park lake or lake erie, the more you fish a certain area, over time you learn where to fish and where its not worth your time. 

i have a lot of fun fishing new places.  in the past year, ive fished a half dozen or so new places, and honestly i havent caught many fish doing so.  i enjoy the experience of traveling to new places and seeing new sights, but even if it seems boring going to the same place over and over, it certainly pays to know your area.
2013/06/20 19:00:08
phishfearme
phishfearme

have walked many miles in waders chasing trout - only good for about 6 weeks in late april thru may.

phish

Say what now??

streams get too low and warm after about june 1 - why do you think the commission stops stocking after late may?  i've seen flocks of holdovers in laurel hill creek facing into small brook trout streams that enter LHC that will scatter as soon as anything approaches - these fish are next to impossible to catch and will no doubt die within a few weeks.

even the delayed harvest areas are near impossible to fish.  the yough dam outflow stays cold and good flow but the snot weed has totally fouled that area up.

you are welcome to spend your time in these low, warm water conditions - i prefer to do something else.

phish
2013/06/20 19:38:52
troutguy
I know what you're saying, but again you mentioned the Yough which is an option. As well as the Allegheny which is another tailwater, and then there's plenty of wild trout streams(of all 3 species). Yeah, even some of the wild trout streams get a little toasty too and it's best to leave them alone in the summer, but there are still a bunch of them that stay cold and fishable throughout the summer.

And you said late April through May, what about October through early-mid April?

And fwiw, I had good fishing(w/ good water temps) for stocked trout all the way until last week when I last fished for them.  The temps are starting to get a little hairy on some creeks now though, but the wild trout streams and cold tailwaters will fish.

And then of course there's warmwater species, which brings us back on subject......carry on..
2013/06/20 19:51:36
troutguy
To the OP(and whoever else..)

You mentioned Arthur, Pymy, etc...what about Shenango Lake? Just throwing out another option. And then there's various rivers including the the Allegheny, Mon, and Ohio as you mentioned.  I've only been out on the boat a couple times this year(Mosquito Lake in Ohio, yeah, not much help in regards to this thread) but I've been fishing(shore fishing/wading) some rivers and streams all spring and now summer for warmwaters species and trout.  Lots of bass, walleye, panfish, etc. to be had.  Just something different.  And as others have mentioned instead of trying a bunch of different places just spend time on a couple and try to figure them out. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account