2013/06/16 16:35:04
World Famous
The Queen landed 4 cats and 2 bass today. River is still flood stage..WF
2013/06/19 16:31:42
World Famous
Queen is watchin the river gage. She says she is takin no prisioners this weekend if they dont get anymore rain....WF
2013/06/19 22:18:44
WETLINE
Hi Wf

Could you tell me where to find info on the river gauge?  I live about 10 miles from the Clarion and never knew there was a gauge.  Any info would be appreciated.
2013/06/20 07:28:08
World Famous
Go to face page on FishErie, click link to weather and waves, click on US gauges of pa, click on whatever river you want to see on the state map and there it is....WF
2013/06/20 11:04:23
WETLINE
Thanks for the info, WF.  I never knew that gauge was there.
2013/06/25 13:05:10
skeelol
Well, I gotta say overall that Clarion was extremely disappointing. Our cabin was on a beautiful stretch of river that you would think would be loaded with fish, however it wasn't.

I managed to nab a nice smallie around 15", however this was 3 miles up from the cabin in some deeper water. The only thing caught at the cabin stretch was a baby smallie the first day, and a rainbow the last day. It seems the river has a certain 'sterility' factor that does not allow much bug/ fish food life. Saw very little activity, mostly carp jumping out of the water. The lack of fish food theory was proven correct when my father cut open the belly of the trout....no nymphs/ flies, just a mess of these ugly looking beetles and a Yum Dinger that fell off my hook earlier that day. We threw everything we had....father had no luck at all fly fishing, I tried everything in my arsenal. It's not that the fish weren't biting, there just weren't fish there.

Caught a nice brookie right at the mouth of Millstone creek, but didn't have any luck upstream and there were signs everywhere saying closed for fishing due to potential dam problem.

I definitely think there's something contributing to the lack of fish food in the river, I was also pretty dumbfounded that there weren't even any mosquitoes.  The river also seemed to be lacking plant life, no greenery whatsoever just straight rocks. Are there any chemical plants or factories around the area? 

2013/06/25 13:18:12
Accountant
there is a paper plant in johnsonburg but that has been there for ages.
2013/06/25 21:38:55
CU@theriver
its cut off from the allegheny river by the Piney dam near clarion. So its basically a closed population  of fish. Pretty silty river too and the lower reaches are affected by AMD. There is decent bug life in the riffles, but nothing compared to the allegheny. Ive heard the upper end of the clarion near belltown and above is much better. But around clarington and south its not the best.

Pictures pop up every year of a few random, large fish. But i think they are far and few between. Ive fished up there since I was little, and its always been a tough fishery. Unless ur dunking worms..

Again the far upper reaches seem to be much more productive from what ive seen and heard..
Still a pretty area to get away for a while.

"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.”-Aldo Leopold.
2013/06/25 21:44:38
World Famous
They need the Queen to show them the way....WF...nothin to see, move along...I have always been a B.S. er
2013/06/26 08:09:32
rippinlip
90% of the fish are in 10% of the creek. Fish the 10%.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account