2013/08/12 12:27:32
troutguy
Came across this guy Saturday while fishing for bass on the Allegheny in Franklin of all places! Wasn't expecting to see him there, especially now in August.  Must have come from one of the tribs, or maybe the French Creek drainage.  He seemed healthy and chased some of my flies and even rose to something on the surface twice, but I was unable to catch him.  Totally unexpected, but it proves that trout don't stay where they're stocked!

2013/08/12 13:07:29
Pork
Sounds far fetched, but I saw that fish, 8-4 on my way to the launch from a trip down french. Yelled back upstream to the guys with me...pretty sure they thought I was nutz! lol
thanks for the pic. :)
2013/08/12 17:20:53
Accountant
What were the water temperatures like?
2013/08/12 19:04:22
troutguy
Accountant, I personally didn't take a temp, but according to the USGS gauge in Franklin the river peaked at about 77* on Saturday. 

Pork, my brother fished with me most of the day Saturday but decided not to there and he thought I was crazy when I told him about the trout.  Good thing I took some pics and even a vid for all the naysayers(my brother included).  Definitely wasn't expecting to see the fish there especially this time of year!
2013/08/12 19:34:26
spoonchucker
Flushed goldfish.
2013/08/12 20:12:40
ready2fish
I have also seen that fish while chasing bass. I recognize the bank in your pic and its right in the same area I saw it last week.

I have caught trout while bassing. Based on the numbers of trout that are stocked above and below where he is, and in tribs of French Creek, its no suprise that some migrate to larger waters, especially in high water periods.
2013/08/28 19:49:19
Fish5000
Love that photo troutguy, especially since it was in August. I'd bet that you were very surprised!
2013/08/28 22:19:51
troutguy
I've come across stocked trout in weird places before, but that fish takes the cake especially because it is August(and of course the location). Definitely a surprise!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account