2013/09/10 14:31:10
Rusch26
Hey I have never fished on French Creek but I am looking to take my boat on there and fish for muskie.  I have a bass tracker 165 would that boat be ok to take on the creek?  
2013/09/10 16:20:19
Pachuckles
[<font]The only boats I've seen on French Creek were Jon boats and canoes. There are very few places where you could user a Bass Tracker, such as a big bend where a hole would form. Other than after a rain French Creek may average 2 foot deep if your lucky.
2013/09/10 16:45:56
Pork
More or less agree with Chuckles....you'd be extremely limited.

You could put in at Shaws Landing, and might make it upstream to just before Wilsons Chutes.
If you put in at Wilsons Chutes, you could go upstream a lil ways and fish the bends...

You could.
Should you? Probably not.
Asking for trouble IMO.

2013/09/13 09:11:11
Ymesss
Pork has it right. Ive boated up and down from Shaws, when the water is normal level and above its no problem. You can go all the way to the down to the Cochranton high school, where there is a set of rapids that you cannot pass.
2013/09/15 16:08:59
kayak99
Rusch26
Hey I have never fished on French Creek but I am looking to take my boat on there and fish for muskie.  I have a bass tracker 165 would that boat be ok to take on the creek?  

You don't say where you want to boat.

I fish mainly south of Cochranton to south of Utica and occasionally down to Franklin.  One guy tried a pontoon and bounced off rocks from Cochranton to Utica.  His destination was the Allegheny but he never made that.  I see a couple jets when the water is up, the occasional air boat but mostly canoes/kayaks/float pontoons.

There is a guy about 2 miles south of Utica who has a Basstracker on the creek.  Most of the time he sits in a pool in front of his camp.  On a good fishing day with more water he goes upstream about 1/4 mile to the first set of riffles & maybe 1500 feet downstream.  Seems to be a waste but he likes it.  That said, if the water is deep enough you can float the creek but it probably won't be fishable and if you don't know the creek you'll probably lose your prop.

My advice, don't do it.
2013/09/16 11:37:55
Sharpefly
Put in up in Cambridge Springs. Been seeing some boats that size up there. Been floating the last three weeks casting flies for musky picked up a few pike. You can go about a mile below Little Conneuttee and up French. Access at Millers Landing.

2013/09/16 15:57:03
BoroMusky
Shaws is your best bet. Have had better luck down there. Cambridge stretch is somewhat difficult, submerged logs and shallow stretches makes it difficult to safely navigate through there. Busted electric motor and chewed up prop keep me off of there
2013/09/16 17:35:48
anzomcik
I agree with Ymess and Boro, shaws is the most boat friendly stretch (still has some good items to screw up your program) as I have seen many pontoon boats cruising around so just watch where your going. 
2013/09/27 21:49:19
Big Steve
Is French wadable down near Franklin? What about Tionesta creek near its confluence with the Allegheny? I went through there for work a little while back and saw someone wading the area but forgot exactly where.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account