• Northwest PA
  • Ice Fishing Pymatuning - Jamestown area???? (p.5)
2013/12/31 19:52:48
World Famous
Lots of chainies there, John......WF...Ice fished once there and thats all we got.
2013/12/31 22:17:33
slabdaddy
No kidding? I've never caught one. Gonna make it happen this year. Looks like Ed can guide me. lol. You don't ice fish any more, do you?
2014/01/01 06:10:40
nw/jigmaster
Eman --- Where's Highpoint AT ????  Pa  / Oh  ?????
2014/01/01 19:02:52
Eman89so
Highpoint is in somerset.. Pennsylvania..

Slab, we can go anytime let me know bud

They were actually mostly on rods jigging lures
2014/01/01 19:14:37
frost
Checked some spots today and surprisingly its still not safe yet. 2-2 1/2" at most of the spots I checked, some spots were even thinner where the spud went through with one hit. The middle of the lake off Snodgrass even looked like open water still. 1/2-3" of snow on the ice which I'm sure is why its taken so long as the temps have been COLD since Sunday night (haven't been out of the teens and even single digit lows). All the ice is solid clear ice though so that's one good thing.

First spot I checked did have 3 1/2-4" of solid clear ice 100yds out. I didn't go any further wanting to check more spots before dark, so tomorrow I'm going to check that spot out further and see if the thickness holds. If I find that it holds the 3 1/2-4" (or hopefully more) I'll let you guys know.

The road to tuttle launch is open, made it 20yds out before turning around. Was cracking with every step and when I hit it with the spud, well I didn't go through but the spud did with one hit. It was only 1/2" at most. It may be better out further, but I'll let it be a little longer before trying it again at least by myself.

I checked all north of causeway today, tomorrow I'll check spot 1 again out further then check the south end. Something has to be safe to get out on this weekend. I will be out Friday and Saturday somewhere!

Anybody know of anywhere safe yet? I have a buddy coming up from Pittsburgh and he's bringing a friend from Texas that has never ice fished before (for obvious reasons) and he wants to try it out. I was hoping for Conneaut but know it definitely won't be ready. I'm just looking for something safe that he has a good chance at catching something no matter what the size. That's why I was hoping for conneaut, I know we could catch some small gills...
2014/01/01 22:28:45
Eman89so
I will be calling tomorrow to check deep creek and highpoint.. Most lakes around here still 2" at best.
2014/01/02 18:55:28
Fish5000
For anyone that's never gone to Highpoint for ice fishing, it's one of the lakes where one can go to that has never been there and from what I've experienced personally and in conversing with others, chances are high that you won't walk away disappointed.
2014/01/02 19:50:01
Eman89so
What kind of tip-ups do you guys use?

I really like the HT Express Wood Stick about 18$ with the all metal spools

Tried a couple frabills found out that they freeze up..I know the Beaver Dams are really good but alittle pricey for me.
2014/01/02 20:24:00
slabdaddy
I'm a jig man. Gonna try playing with some cheapo tipups this year. Never know. lol
2014/01/02 20:36:16
Eman89so
I wanna get a new shanty too for the old lady so she doesn't get chilly.. Dicks has one for about 129$ HT 2 person

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account