2014/03/02 13:37:08
Jmartin12
Every time I pass over I-79 on the way to Conneaut, I look at Geneva Marsh and consider fishing it. I know there are a few areas off shore to fish, and I know the bowfin population is heavy. I was wondering if anyone here has accessed Geneva by canoe or any other method. Has anyone caught pike, muskie, walleye, etc out of the marsh?
2014/03/03 08:41:22
Snag_826
I have yet to catch any of the species you mentioned...but I have had amazing success with bowfin and crappie. I couldn't believe how well the crappie population is there. I usually fish under 79 on the northern end.

2014/03/06 15:27:07
troutguy
Yep, great population of bowfin and crappie. Both species can be hit or miss for the most part, but when the bite is on, and you locate them, it's ON! I've gotten the occasional bluegill and bass out of there, and I even caught a decent sized bullhead there last year, but other than that it's mainly a bowfin/crappie game. Pike at times but I haven't tried for them there yet. I've also heard rumors of it having small grass pickerel also but I have yet to catch one. Always cool to add a new species to the list.

Shore access is limited to a handful of locations, so if you want to cover water using a canoe would definitely be your best method.

(And btw, if you see anyone throwing bowfin(or anything else for that matter) on the banks contact the PFBC. I did last year and they were happy with the info I gave them. It happens WAY too much and these idiots need their licenses taken away for life........sorry for the mini rant, just had to let it out.......)
2014/03/06 17:51:38
Jmartin12
Troutguy, I fish Conneaut quite a bit and it is ridiculous when people kill the bowfin, they are native to the lake and marsh. I have heard many different rumors about the marsh such as big pike sightings as well as walleye, however there is very little info about the marsh. None the less I do plan on going out sometime in the late spring to check things out.
2014/03/07 08:13:44
wirenut45
would it be legal to launch a lite 12 ft. rowboat with a minn-kota t.m. there/ ? i think i MAY HAVE seen(saw) a pickerel there last fall. stood on 19 bridge checking out water, only saw for instant, so don,t know.
2014/03/07 10:14:38
ToothyCritterGitter
mercer pike bridge is a very accessible place to shore fish, always fish there. 
2014/03/07 12:39:06
CAPTAIN HOOK
I've heard that the oxygen levels in the marsh drop very low certain years that it takes a serious toll on most species of fish. One has to believe that is so because you never hear of any huge Bass or Pike taken out of Geneva over the years. It looks like a Bass fisherman's dream with all the weed growth along the channels but rarely a photo or story of large game fish.  Bowfins I'm told are the main species due to low oxygen levels.
2014/03/07 21:53:03
Jmartin12
It is difficult doing research on the marsh, I have seen a few pictures of about 24in pike but nothing noteworthy, and obviously the bowfin thrive in there. The main reason I would like to get a canoe or small boat in the marsh is because it stretches so wide. There must be a lot of untouched areas.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account