• Northwest PA
  • You tell me what fish did this? Unreal pics ! (p.3)
2013/05/24 09:40:47
CAPTAIN HOOK
I agree Pork but I guess Muskies are far sighted when it comes to seeing line. LOL..... That 6 lb. line and leader combo has landed the majority of his Musky catches. I just know some facts, the one night he hooked five Muskies landed three and I stood twenty feet away tossing the same thing and never had a hit ! Go figure ? I use 10 lb. line with leader combo and have caught Muskies but no where near the hook ups as my son. We know fighting the fish longer stresses them out but most of our Musky fishing is Spring or Fall during the cooler temps. All our Musky released so far have swam away unharmed. Including this one for all the critics and doubters...........................thanks to all the people with the great complements !

2013/05/24 10:44:32
Porktown
Nice one of your own there. 

It obviously is working for him, thanks for sharing the tip.  I guess if they see the line 20'-30' in advance it might turn them away from that area, and when your lure comes by they aren't even looking in that direction?  If they see something that looks like a good snack, it might be too much of an instinct to attack regardless of something unnatural attached to the front?  Like I said, I don't have the patience for musky fishing myself, so haven't done the research.  Very impressed that 6lb line held up to a hog like that, especially one that destroyed a plug like that one is.

2013/05/24 10:56:34
anzomcik
Nice fish.

The bait got destroyed while it and the fish was in the net, correct? The bait was hooked into the net and the fish at the same time and the fish rolled and thrashed, pulling the wire out of the bait?

The bait coulndt have been ruined during the fight, at least I would hope a rapala would take more abuse than 6lb line. Because the line would break before the bait.
2013/05/24 11:29:35
Panther99
snapper
2013/05/24 13:30:39
CAPTAIN HOOK
Not sure about the net tearing up part of the lure. The fish was netted on shore so that's possible. I would think the same that the line should break before the wire pulled apart on the Rapala but who knows. I wasn't there at this time but I know the fish battle lasted around 15 minutes or so and the fish did surface jump at least once. It's amazing that every now and then these huge fish actually full body jump out of the water. One Musky I landed two years ago did a full body Tarpon shaking style jump that I thought was unreal for a heavier fish. Most Musky just power run when hooked and head shake near the surface. One thing for sure they are a blast when you hook up with one even the ones that get away !  

Same Musky.....
These fish are tough on this old man!
2013/05/25 18:16:42
bubblegumworm
I've had muskies do that to my rapalas but I've never caught one that big. Nice catch.
2013/05/28 15:26:38
JEB
Nice !
2014/04/08 21:49:07
Fish5000
Musky? Pike? Maybe Bowfin? They're supposed to have strong jaws, the Bowfin I mean.
2014/04/09 16:02:36
bigesox11
Congrats on a fish of a lifetime.  From shore, 6# line and a busted up lure to boot.  Wow!
2014/04/09 17:18:08
gymi03
well now I know what color to start with...lol...nice fish. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account