2014/04/14 10:33:45
AndyLee
Can anyone tell me why locals do this, and is it even legal?  Every trout that my group caught and kept this year was absolutely full of corn.   We counted 17 pieces of corn in one Palomino that we cleaned.  Not only this but we saw large amounts of corn on the stream bed.  And the kicker was an older man walked down to the stream just a few minutes before 8:00 am Saturday and started tossing handfuls of corn into the water then walked away.  He wasn't even fishing.   He basically gave a big F-U to the folks lining the streams. 

All of this took place on Oil Creek in Titusville.  This stretch of water was 3 holes spaced within a mile's stretch.  A buddy helped stock this area and they stocked 600+ fish into these three holes but over the opening weekend fewer than 30 trout were caught combined as they were so full of corn they weren't interested in hitting.  Several good and experienced fishermen went the entire weekend without so much as getting a single hit despite the great weather and decent stream conditions. 

It seems to me that the locals are trying to suppress the appetite of the trout over opening weekend until all of the out-of-towners leave, then have the run of the creeks to themselves.  I'm sure they also are killing a lot of the trout with this corn chumming.  The whole thing ****ed me off to spend all that money on travel, lodging, bait, etc.. to have it ruined by a couple of idiots and a few bags of corn.

So is it legal, and should I report it?

2014/04/14 10:49:23
It's legal to chum in PA.  Even for trout.  Even corn for trout.  

Informative article on the PFBC website: http://fishandboat.com/im...ish_regs/corn_chum.htm

If it's excessive, and the stream bed is covered like you said, a WCO might potentially consider filing littering charges if he or she felt inclined.  
2014/04/14 10:55:57
AndyLee
Seems like a B.S. thing to do to me.  Basically this gives locals the ability to chum the hell out of a stream before opening day, fill the trout up with corn that the fish can't digest, then have all the fish for themselves the weeks after the opener.  

2014/04/14 10:59:58
workcanwait....
Yep legal but you are not suppose to litter the water with it.
When I was young and growing up in the POCONOS I would throw corn in holes to see the trout pre season and pick where I was going to fish.
You can really get a feeding frenzy going I fished with it a few times as a kid too.
Those days are long gone now for me I will do a LITTLE chumming once in a while for steelies with eggs but  do not do it when others are around or I will ask the other people if they mind first.
What you encountered seems to be a different story and I bet the PFC would not like to see it but they got their hands full lots of water to cover.
As for the trout not being hungry cause they ate too much corn I am not believing that one....WCW
2014/04/14 11:27:33
AndyLee
Seems like a B.S. thing to do to me.  Basically this gives locals the ability to chum the hell out of a stream before opening day, fill the trout up with corn that the fish can't digest, then have all the fish for themselves the weeks after the opener.  

Well, if you feel strongly about it, you can call the local WCO and report it and hope he or she has the time and interest to pursue it.  
2014/04/14 12:51:43
dakotab
I understand your frustration with the first day results.  I think I know exactly where you're talking about.  I've fished that stretch the first day for about 10 years until last year and this because the kids are old enough to go and the place I'm thinking of is not kid friendly.  Anyway if the trout can't digest the corn and are going to die how are the locals going to catch them next week?
2014/04/14 13:32:36
AndyLee
Locals aren't very bright, that's the problem.  The balls of this guy to walk to the banks of the stream and throw handfuls of corn into the hole just minutes before the first cast of the year. 
2014/04/14 14:17:21
workcanwait....
Wow man relax its just fishin'
If you see something wrong report it.
But to let sum' fool ruin your weekend/week is silly.
I would have been disappointed maybe but moved on to other water and forgotten about it.
Lifes too short to get hung up on these things.
And get over the Locals/Outoftowners thing we are all fisherman.

WCW
2014/04/14 14:50:30
Cold
Next year bring your own can of corn and throw it at him when he shows up.

Don't open the can.
2014/04/14 20:01:44
ready2fish
AndyLee
Locals aren't very bright, that's the problem.  The balls of this guy to walk to the banks of the stream and throw handfuls of corn into the hole just minutes before the first cast of the year. 

Not worth the effort........

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account