2014/03/08 07:43:58
bmeehan06
I live about an hour and a half from Pymatuning and was looking to make a few trips up to wade for walleye in the evening. I'm assuming with the cold winter the lake is still pretty much frozen over. Anyone have any idea of the conditions of the lake? 
2014/03/08 09:10:56
FishinGuy
I haven't been there. But I'd be willing to bet there's still ice fishing to be had. If you need info like tips and tactics search this site. Tons of good threads on it over the years.
2014/03/08 09:20:34
JUST1FISH
Yes the lake is frozen over and very little open area, many are still out there ice fishing. Last I heard was over a foot thick.
2014/03/09 09:09:10
frost
There is 12-15" of ice still and with the temps they're calling for at night we won't be losing much anytime soon. I live 1/2 mile from the lake and will be wading as soon as possible and will post when it opens up.
2014/03/09 20:58:09
Pachuckles
Due to such a cold winter, the forecast is for a cold wet Spring and Summer.  Taking into consideration the thickness of the ice on Pymie, you'll be lucky to be wading by mid April. There's a good two/three weeks of ice fishing season left, with up to 15 inches of ice to melt.
Sorry, I don't see anyone "holding their breath" to go wading for walleye just yet.  This year I'll say they'll be wading by the last week of April.  
2014/03/10 23:02:37
frost
I agree. It's still AT LEAST good month plus before any wading will be done. These temps though could make for a great fishing year on all our lakes all summer by keeping the water temps down.
2014/03/12 13:26:46
Porktown
frost
These temps though could make for a great fishing year on all our lakes all summer by keeping the water temps down.

Good call Frost.  I hope that is the case.  There is definitely Summer dog days, especially mid-day in the heat of Summer, on most waters that I fish.
2014/03/13 14:29:17
Flying Fish
I'm starting to get impatient.  Ready to get fishing.
2014/03/14 23:28:04
BACON
Hello Friends , New to the area and excited to walleye fish at Pymy this year. As I read the forum it appears to me that ya'll share a lot of great information which will be very helpful to me. Come on warm temps, rain and sunshine melt that ice so we can get started.
2014/03/15 00:23:02
frost
Well the geese are paired off. I am seeing more and more ducks moving back through. Saw multiple flocks of swans and a couple flocks of Sandhills the other day! I'm guessing ice season is coming towards the end. 3 more weeks is my guess before the ice is gone (15 day forecast has lots of 40's and 50's with most lows in the upper 20's and 30's). I'll keep everyone updated on the ice/open water situation. It's going to be a packed year cause I'm sure there's going to be a lot of guys with cabin fever needing to get out.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account