2014/03/12 15:14:28
NAsteelheader
I personally believe that removing the horsepower limit is a RETARDED idea.
 However my 2 cents to help the problem is to reduce the limit and numbers of large bass that are taken through the ice.
 With all of the ice fisherman taking large bass reduces the numbers of bass in the lake, Crappies as well.
 Also with leaving some of the larger fish in the lake, they may just be able to eat up more of the shad.
 I am a firm believer that if more guys would release fish our fisheries would be much better than they are.
 If you take a good look at the GOOD YEARS that we all talk about, you will find that there were much less fishermen back then. This means less fish were being taken.
Don't get me wrong, I do keep some fish. BUT, I ONLY KEEP WHAT WILL BE EATEN THAT DAY OR THE NEXT. And I never keep bass. That is just me.
Also The blue army does not help our cause, They know how to kill any fisherie or good hunting areas. These guys keep and kill anything in sight.
2014/03/12 16:16:27
Porktown
100% for HP restricted lakes, although I wish they were 25HP to allow for more manufacturers to choose from.  These HP restrictions aren't new, so those of us that bought the larger motor boat knew that we couldn't use on these lakes.  Way too hard/expensive for the PFBC to prove violations in court and have enough officers available for the speed limit idea.  Luckily they allow larger crafts with HP restrictions, so a kicker allows us on the lakes.  The USACE lakes, Erie and 3 Rivers, along with a few other lakes provide a lot of oppertunity for larger crafts.  The state needs lakes for those who enjoy small craft recreation too (canoe, kayak, small motor boats or small sail boats).  There are plenty of 12'-16' boats with motors to be had for cheap.  You can own more than one boat.  Kind of like rods, there really isn't a perfect boat for every kind of fishing...
2014/03/12 19:08:32
Jmartin12
I have been going to Wilhelm since I was real young, and it really is a shame to see how far downhill it has gotten. I remember when the marina used to be busy, and there were a good amount of boats on the water. It is almost like no one really goes to Wilhelm at all anymore. There is so much potential with that lake for fishing given the structure and amount of coves throughout the lake. Somehow these shad numbers need to decrease within the next few years, or the problem may get even worse.
2014/03/13 11:17:06
Flying Fish
How have other lakes eliminated or decreased the shad population?
2014/03/13 11:58:18
MuffPistol
WITH PREDETORS!
2014/03/13 14:26:47
Flying Fish
Get rid of the shad and bring back another lake that was once great.  Never see boats there anymore when crossing over 79 on my way to camp at Pymie.  Used to see lots of them.
2014/03/13 15:06:11
crappiefisher
FF,
I'd say mostly from winter die offs. Then the predators help to a better balance,  At least the lake closest near I.

crappy
2014/03/14 10:00:13
Porktown
crappiefisher
FF,
I'd say mostly from winter die offs. Then the predators help to a better balance,  At least the lake closest near I.

crappy

Many states stock the byrds for that very reason.  I am not sure if that is "why" Arthur and Shenango get them, would guess that it is part of the equation.  Being sterile (or 99%), fast growing and not an extremely long life span, they are easy for the PFBC to manage taking over.  That said, they are eating machines and will wipe out other species that weren't intended to be controlled.  To me, beats the heck out of draining and re-stocking.  Do a few years of heavy wiper stocking and see what happens.  They will definitely eat their share of the 1"-10" gizzard shad.  Maybe add Wilhelm to the throw net list?  Not sure if the Amish would keep any gizzard shad for fish patties or not?
2014/03/14 15:42:29
bigesox11
I would love to see more lakes become unlimited horsepower and have a speed limit or "no wake" area pr areas.  I too have the money to buy a kicker motor, but I only have a 40hp as my main motor!  Having a 20hp kicker motor next to a 40hp main motor would be ridiculous in my opinion.  My 40hp would then be even more underpowered. 
2014/03/14 16:17:40
chauncy
bigesox11
I would love to see more lakes become unlimited horsepower and have a speed limit or "no wake" area pr areas.  I too have the money to buy a kicker motor, but I only have a 40hp as my main motor!  Having a 20hp kicker motor next to a 40hp main motor would be ridiculous in my opinion.  My 40hp would then be even more underpowered. 

Evidently with a 40hp, you're not looking for speed, so why put a 20 on there. A 10 will do just fine. Even an old 9.9 would be alright. You dont have to spend a small fortune for a kicker motor. Just get something that will allow you to fish the limited HP lakes. Had a 9.9 merc next to my 50 honda for years and fished the hell out of the linesville stumps with it.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account