2014/01/30 23:39:58
CAPTAIN HOOK
Wilhelm has really got a bad rap the last few years on Shad explosion numbers. Shenango also had some big numbers of Shad a few years back but they seem to be in check the last few years. I'm going to say Stripers , White Bass, and Catfish seem to be the counter balance. I really don't see Musky eating a lot of Shad with Carp around. We never once landed a Musky on Shad imitation lures on Shenango. Stripers will eat Shad like candy all day !
2014/02/25 12:34:57
MuffPistol
Some people may hate me for saying this but i honestly believe bowfin could really help out lake wilhelm. a friend of mine has taken me there before and wow. gizzard shad...
2014/02/25 18:00:12
BoroMusky
Why could any person hate you for saying that? Bowfin are a native species that get a terrible rap.  I don't see why more people don't target them.... They are tough fighters, grow bigger than bass, hit the same lures as bass...
2014/02/25 22:07:01
MuffPistol
BoroMusky
Why could any person hate you for saying that? Bowfin are a native species that get a terrible rap.  I don't see why more people don't target them.... They are tough fighters, grow bigger than bass, hit the same lures as bass...

Totally agree, they just got a bad rap since the whole snakehead-bowfin mix up was going on a few years back and didnt want to get in a stupid arguement on here with someone uneducated about bowfin haha. But i do target them when im bored during the day at conneaut. I just hope someone fixes up this Wilhelm situation. ASAP... it would be a really nice mini pymatuning if muskie's really took over too...
2014/02/26 09:28:38
griffon
Just a thought... Open the lake up to unrestricted HP (I probably wouldn't have skiing or jetskis...), have a launch fee (or seasonal pass) and use the funds toward lake restoration...  It is a big lake with more than enough room for the unlimited HP boats.  Right now the lake sees minimal pressure and gets very little attention.  It seems to me that the added traffic would put more of an emphasis on repairing what seems to be broken.
2014/02/26 18:48:06
Jmartin12
I agree with muffpistol, Bowfin would definitely help get rid of the shad at Wilhelm. There are definitely some monster bass and muskie in that lake, it is a shame it has been so down.
2014/03/02 13:02:40
muskefisher
The whole problem is with so much bait the game fish can feed when they want to and not when we want them to. Shad color musky baits worked well at Arthur and Ohio lakes I fish but with so many shad there's too much competition making them harder too catch.  The only way to get the shad under control is to stock more predators.  Stripers are likely out due to lack of deep water.  With the outbreak of VHS its hard to trade for Hybrids.  Muskies, Catfish, and walleye would help.  Its tough to fish a lake when you know that you will most likely get skunked or catch very little.  That's why I avoid both Arthur & Wilhelm until things get better.
2014/03/02 14:24:36
griffon
So... what your saying is the way to solve these problems is with money... hmm... just a thought, have the powers that be stop discriminating against a majority of boat owners...unless you feel the Amish might foot the bill and pay for improvements.
2014/03/02 16:27:23
shrodreel
What suggestions have been put forth by the Pa. Fish Comm. aquatic/fisheries biologists ?
I have a cabin 2 miles from Wilhelm and I started fishing it several yrs after it was put in. I won't tell you about the bass numbers we caught (especially in the flooded timber) cause you probably wouldn't believe it. Both the size and quantity were incredible and it remained very good for a lot of years..not to mention the nice sized gills and crappy numbers..I quit fishing it 2yrs ago..Now you'll fish **** hard to get a decent bass..
and the hundreds of people that fished there have moved there operations to Pymmie & Conneaut...putting more pressure on those lakes ..
I guess it's out of the question to draw the lake down and get rid of all the shad and whatever other problems exist ??
At least the bike trail is still there..

2014/03/05 18:21:47
mikesdad
It's more than just the shad....as if that wasn't bad enough.
Here is a copy of an email that I received from the Park Manager on 8/30/2013 when I inquired about what they had decided at a meeting that I was unable to attend. Just passing it along.

Sorry that you were unable to attend the program at McKeever ELC.

Main point: There are a series of things impacting the lake water quality and fishery at Lake Wilhelm.

All the data isn’t in yet but we know that gizzard shad, high phosphorous levels, Eurasian milfoil, and other factors are impacting the lake.

Possible solution: formation of a citizen’s watershed group that would be able to raise funds and potential grant monies to continue water quality studies as well as possibly doing some remediation within the Lake Wilhelm watershed should problem areas be defined.

At this point our Friends of Goddard are the contact point for starting such a group.

If you are interested in helping out I would be happy to forward your information to Sherry Simons the Secretary of FROG.

Thanks.

Bill

I’d be happy to discuss these issues further if you give a call.

William F. Wasser |Park Manager
Bureau of State Parks/Maurice K. Goddard State Park
Phone: 724-253-4833|Fax: 724-253-3234
www.dcnr.state.pa.us  www.iConservePA.org 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account