• Northwest PA
  • What do you think about this older fish photo ?
2015/01/17 14:24:38
CAPTAIN HOOK
Just digging through some older fishing photos of mine and came across this oldie. It's my son holding what I thought was always a Walleye but now I'm not too sure. Looks more like a Sauger or maybe a Saugeye. Maybe it's just a dark phase Walleye at that. I'm almost sure it came from Pymatuning Lake at that time but my mind is a little rusty. We usually fished Pymy and Shenango in those days but I never heard of Sauger or seen any in either lake. I've never caught any Sauger around our area just wonder what you guys know. Are there Sauger in either of these lakes ? 

2015/01/17 14:40:08
FishinGuy
Hard to tell looking on my phone but it appears to have spots on the fins. And no white tip on the tail. I'd say sauger.
2015/01/17 18:31:04
BeenThereDoneThat.

Hope this helps................................
2015/01/17 21:15:30
Ironhed
Definitely a sauger. A good one too.
2015/01/18 08:01:23
Porktown
I'd say saugeye, due to the size. I've caught hundreds of sauger in the rivers, and have never seen one that big. I've caught them possibly that long, but never that thick. Pretty cool fish. Eye looks kind of marbled too.
2015/01/20 11:33:58
chauncy
Definetly a sauger but i've never seen one caught out of a NW PA inland lake or river. Were you fishing the ohio river too back then?
2015/01/21 21:54:50
walleye taker
I say saugeye they are in pymatuing lake and I have caught them myself. They even have a limit check your regs for Pymatuning and you will see
2015/01/21 23:42:59
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm about positive it was Pymatuning Lake or the River outflow of Pymy (upper Shenango). I'm with you on that call Chauncy, I've never seen or heard of anybody catching Sauger or Saugeyes around here in the 50 plus years I've been fishing. Walleye taker says he's nailed a few so maybe there are a few around. Got to be a rare catch around these waters because that's why I posted the photo.
2015/01/22 15:01:54
walleye taker
Yea hook I agree it is rare I have caught a few over 40 yrs fishing the lake and I also just caught last year for the first time a bowfin it was 25 inches and a mouth full of teeth. I hope those things don't come on in the lake. I remember when there were no stripers in the lake but they are there and the PFC. finally ammitted some may have escaped from the protected waters one time when it flooded and people started showing up at the bait shops with these 20 and 30 lbs white bass ah!!! I don't think so they were stripers . I have caught so much stuff out of Pymatuning other then fish also.

That gives me a good idea for a new thread we should call it what have you ever caught other then fish from Pymatuning .
I have got a 8 track play, fishing poll, lawn chair, ball cap, fish basket, a shoe, a wallet no money or ID, a fish net, just to name a few unreal what's at the bottom of that lake.
2015/01/22 18:52:20
troutguy
I say sauger, and a monster at that! Maybe it's a saugeye.........the white tip on the tail just may be faded or something.

I've personally never heard of either from Pymatuning, but they may have escaped the hatchery as well just like the hybrid stripers. I'm not sure if they still raise sauger or saugeye though. They may not anymore...

My grandfather once told me the Shenango River(the lower reaches) used to have sauger a long time ago.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account