2015/04/26 20:46:31
pole_doc
Are the crappie bitin' yet?  I'm trying to decide what to do this weekend 5/2, 5/3).  Appreciate any help!
2015/05/05 18:36:37
chauncy
Yes they are. C&R over 60 crappies yesterday in shallow water. Find shallow wood, the fish will be there.
2015/05/09 10:34:37
BeenThereDoneThat.
chauncy
Yes they are. C&R over 60 crappies yesterday in shallow water. Find shallow wood, the fish will be there.

Right you are Chauncy..............  I quit countin, after putting two dozen in the live well.

It was a great day on Shenango and I even got pictures......  yep, I got pictures!

The sun was straight-up when I hit the water and the sky was nothing but blue.  Launched at Clark and set sail for the Islands of the far West. (10 hp line)

Set-up my Croix Ultra-lite with 4 lb test, 1/32 oz jig and, one and a half in. 'twister tail' (pearl).

Started hitting the shore lines around the islands with some success but no keepers.

First one of the season:

Followed by:

A few more but, no keepeepers:

Funny, the whole time I'm catching these little guys, I trying to remember something I forgot.
I just knew I left something back at the house, but I couldn't think of what it was and, it's beginning to drive me crazy and  I hate when that happens. Anyway, I moved to the south shore lines where I found some fallen timber and the real fun began!

I need to mention here, I changed the 'twister tail' to a black and white 2" tube.  Tossing the rig toward shore, retrieving a few feet and allowing it to sink.  I set the hook when I saw my line moving or twitching after the jig hit bottom.  Bigger fish were caught "dead sticking" while smaller fish were hooked as the tube sank.  I tried changing to a 1/16 oz jig hoping the faster sinking bait would get by the smaller guys and down to the bigger fish but, no luck.  So, while still trying to remember what I forgot at the house, I enjoyed (without a doubt) a very memorable day on Shenango.

No ants and no floats were needed this day, just a lot of casting and tight lines!  Oh, I brought two small musky to the side of the boat also.  Unfortunately both of the toothy critters broke off when I tried to get them in the boat so, no pictures.  Yeah I know, it don't count if there's no pictures but, I was there and I saw it happen!  

Just wish I could remember what I forgot at the house!

Just to mention the the water temp. in the area; I was showing 74 degrees F. surface and the fish were not cold to the feel.  Having checked with another angler that had the same readings, I'm at least certain my locator isn't faulty.  In addition, none (NONE) of the crappy appeared to be carrying eggs.

Had a great day, looking forward to getting back on the water but, this time I'll make a checklist of what I want (if I can remember what I forgot) to take with me.

Now, if you all will excuse me, I need to run to the drugstore to get some............ SolarCaine.

Tightlines to all.................
2015/05/09 22:27:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
  Striper, Striper Hybrid, White Bass or Yellow Bass?  

https://tpwd.texas.gov/pu...a/pwd_lf_t3200_086.pdf

Hit the above link for printable info chart...............
2015/05/10 11:52:37
ZelieSam
White bass.  To really tell you have to see their "tongue patches" or whatever... but that's a WB at a glance.
2015/05/10 12:14:00
fisherofmen376
No sunscreen...ouch! But looks like it was a great day, thanks for sharing.
2015/05/10 12:17:21
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks Zelie.  I never fished for either and never really started catching white/striper bass until I began fishing Shenango.  Then one day, whamo my first and sooooo I'm hooked.  The darn things are really difficult to tell apart (when small).  

I should have called better attention to the link I provided as it will take you to a chart explaining all four types.  For those, like me, absent minded anglers that forget which is which!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/pu...a/pwd_lf_t3200_086.pdf

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account