• Northwest PA
  • Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) (p.4)
2015/01/28 11:48:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recipes.html

You be the judge.
2015/01/28 15:49:46
troutguy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Troutguy my appologies for 'trashing' your board. I was having trouble trying to access info on my 'puter' then read a story of the malware that caused these problems and how it get's installed. So I thought it important to post it for all to see.

Haha no worries. Thanks for the heads up...
2015/01/28 15:53:37
troutguy
VJPaczek74
There's a bait shop at Glendale Lake where I have heard an employee (I believe it's actually the owner) tell people to kill any Bowfin they catch.  It's the first bait shop on the right when you turn onto the south end of Beaver Valley Road.

I actually heard the same about a bait shop in the Meadville area. Not sure of the name......but I think it may have closed up(can't think of any around there).
 It's a shame. Who knows how many other shop owners out there have the same feelings......
2015/01/28 20:31:04
eyesandgillz
Porktown
If you can get away with it (most probably can), replace your PC with an iPad.  iOS is about as secure of a platform as you can have right now.  Some can't get away with just a tablet, but if you can, the benefits of iPad over a PC are well worth the cost.  Especially if your company allows you to expense it...  

No thanks, some of us have to do real work on our computers!  
2015/01/30 16:51:31
paramedicjake
Here you go , good eats .

Baked  Butter milk  Bow-fin

• Soak skinless bowfin fillets in buttermilk for 4 hours in the fridge.
  • Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  • Butter a large glass casserole dish.
  • Place a layer of sliced onions on bottom of the dish, then layer the fillets on top.
  • Pour Italian salad dressing over fin fillets.
  • Place another layer of sliced onion on top.
  • Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes or until flaky.
  • Remove from heat, uncover, and sprinkle chedder cheese on top and recover till melted.
  • Salt and pepper to taste or spritz with hot sauce.

2015/06/01 13:19:08
troutguy
Well, I happened to fish the location where the signs were put a couple times this spring...........but all the signs were gone I doubt the PFBC took them down. Probably locals with brains smaller than that of creek chub's....

I wasn't targeting bowfin, but I did see one caught by another angler. He said he doesn't like catching them(why though?) but he did agree that it's wrong to kill them.

He also said that earlier he saw other people catching and killing bullheads. He too agreed that it was wrong to kill them as well. I saw the remnants.....

I don't understand these idiots. If you're not going to eat the fish, release it!!!    Also, I saw some other great, big gamefish mistreated at this location recently. They were released......but I don't know if they survived all the flopping around on the rocks and gravel. Unfortunately it's a common occurrence there
2015/06/01 14:58:53
H3Fisher
Funny, I seen this same fish this past weekend. And if you look at the overflow behind the main spot, you will see a couple more catfish and bowfin.

I cant wait to see someone throw a fish there. I will take pics and put them on blast on here and call the game comish. Them silly walleye fisherman.
2015/06/01 16:07:25
ZelieSam
Who kills bullheads?  They are super easy to clean and taste fantastic.  That's just insanity.  You guys posting here need to see the musky video where the walleye guy skull bashes a musky because he didn't like it eating his bait.  You'll love that.  Here you go:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzdesfXfaTY 
2015/06/01 16:25:55
troutguy
I've seen that video too many times. Just messed up.

The main reason why people kill bullheads, and bowfin, at this location is because they get in the way while targeting other species. I too can't wait until I catch these "fishermen" in action so I can get them busted and post their faces all over the internet.

H3Fisher, I didn't happen to look in that little overflow/ditch the past couple times I was there but I can imagine. Last summer there were a bunch of dead 'fins there and I'm sure bullheads too. There was another dead bullhead on the opposite side of the waterway too on the grass
2015/06/01 18:20:47
mopars0
Hell I hate channel cats but love catching them sure don't kill them & toss them back in the water or on shore. Caught a nice one last Thursday evening asking my buddy if he wanted it , he didn't so we released it to fight again... It's crazy to kill anything you are not going to eat... I think anyhow.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account