• Northwest PA
  • Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) (p.2)
2015/01/24 14:50:02
troutguy
I honestly think they should have different signs for NW PA, maybe just about bowfin. The current signs give fishermen the idea that there COULD be snakeheads in NW PA......so they give second thoughts about each bowfin caught, since they have snakeheads in the back of their mind.....even though there are none.

A sign just stating the facts about bowfin, saying they're a native species, don't cause any harm, etc, etc.. would be much better. Leave snakeheads off the sign except for SE PA
2015/01/25 11:19:22
troutguy
BeenThereDoneThat.
No spot at the base of the tail as found on the Bowfin.........  First indication it's a N. Snakehead.

troutguy.
Keep in mind not all bowfin have that big spot on the tail. I think it's only on males??

BIG mistake in the regulations booklet. In the booklet it just says "Black spot at base of tail"

On the sign it says it's only present on males and small, immature females(ie. not ALL bowfin)

Gonna have to bring this to the PFBC's attention.....people may start killing fish just because it doesn't have the spot..

Here's an example of a fish with the spot, and a fish without it(the first one probably a male, and the second probably a big female). Both bowfin.

Bowfin with spot

Bowfin without spot

2015/01/25 12:11:41
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks Troutguy..............

I know the Snakeheads haven't been reported in this area......... yet! But, honestly, I would have questioned a fish not having that spot. Although there is other indicators, a C/R would have been questionable.

Tight lines........
2015/01/25 16:35:48
H3Fisher
People kill them because they "Eat all the good fish" as some white-trash told me to throw them all into the weeds at the one location you have in your photos. He ended up leaving and when I was leaving I looked over that hill and seen 4 fish dead. 

Thanks for providing the number, I'll keep it in mind once I start fishing that way this spring again. 
2015/01/25 17:47:19
solitario lupo
H3Fisher
People kill them because they "Eat all the good fish" as some white-trash told me to throw them all into the weeds at the one location you have in your photos. He ended up leaving and when I was leaving I looked over that hill and seen 4 fish dead. 

Thanks for providing the number, I'll keep it in mind once I start fishing that way this spring again. 

What you do is if u hear someone tell u this, are u see some one throwing fish up on the bank is to give them a little scare. Tell them what they are doing is illegal and littering, tell them your calling the fish comm... on them.  Even if u dont know the number start walking away as u grab your phone and start to pretend on calling them.    Watch how fast they get out of there.
2015/01/25 18:07:44
troutguy
H3Fisher

The only problem with the number I provided is you'll only be able to leave a message(which is still better than doing nothing at all) if you call after-hours. That is not a direct WCO number.....but a number for the PFBC office.

H3Fisher

Yep, I've heard that too.......at that location and others.

One time at the swamp this past summer there was an older guy who came up to me and the people I was fishing with and the first thing out of his mouth was "do you guys have a pocket knife?" We asked him why.........and he said something along the lines of "for you to slit the guts of bowfin and throw them in the woods." He wasn't fishing, just parked parked his vehicle, walked around and talked to fisherman, and then left. We told him all the facts about bowfin and he just grunted and walked away. He insists "the PFBC put them there." Though if I remember correctly he actually said the Game Commission.....but we know what he meant lol.

I saw him again a week or so later talking to other fishermen.
2015/01/25 18:15:23
troutguy
solitario lupo
What you do is if u hear someone tell u this, are u see some one throwing fish up on the bank is to give them a little scare. Tell them what they are doing is illegal and littering, tell them your calling the fish comm... on them.  Even if u dont know the number start walking away as u grab your phone and start to pretend on calling them.    Watch how fast they get out of there.

I've done this..........though I didn't actually see them kill any. The people told me they're bad, etc. and to kill them if I caught any. After I informed them and threatened to call the PFBC if I saw anyone kill them they were speechless and didn't stick around much longer.

Luckily most fisherman release them, even though they may not like them. At least while other fishermen are around...

There is a growing number of people who like to target them.....which is good imo. Making good use of a hard fighting and abundant(at some locations) sportfish.
2015/01/25 18:21:27
troutguy
I don't mind giving away these locations. The more real sportsmen to keep an eye on these places, the better!

Conneaut Lake
Geneva Swamp
Woodcock Creek
French Creek
Sugar Lake
Presque Isle Bay(fortunately haven't heard of people killing them there, yet)

Those are the places have the highest populations. I've also heard of at least one of them caught from the following: Pymatuning(heard of a couple from there), Shenango Reservoir, Wilhelm, and the Allegheny River. I'm sure there's others.

2015/01/25 20:09:23
BeenThereDoneThat.
Troutguy............
Just talked to my Nephew, he's checking his camera, thinks he still has my picture........ I hope!

Don't know if you guys saw the problem with downloading Adobe Flash updates for your 'puters but if ya haven't, be very careful. There is/was malware piggybacking with the downloads that redirects your search engine.  I remember seeing all kinds of weird program names flash as I watched the updates download.  I had programs listed in my programs file I never had before, including one that reset my IE to another browser that would redirect my searches to third party sights.  Messed up my WiFi connections and really slowed the start-up and shut down of the system.
Don't mean to trash the thread........ I'm gone. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account