• Northwest PA
  • Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated)
2015/01/23 20:12:47
troutguy
So I noticed this in this years regulation booklet. THANK YOU PFBC for trying to educate people.

But unfortunately, you can't fix stupid, and never will....

I see dead fish on the bank way too much. This has been happening more than usual on one little NW Pennsylvania waterway so I took it into my own hands. I contacted the PFBC about the issue, recommending they patrol the area more and put up signs. And guess what...........they actually LISTENED to my suggestion and put up new signs!!!!!!!!!!!

Feels good when you suggest something to the PFBC and they actually follow through with it. So if you've noticed some new bowfin signs.......you can thank me

But like I said, you can't fix stupid. "Fishermen" will still continue to do this. I still see dead fish, even after the new signs were put up.

I have noticed the PFBC patrolling the Geneva Swamp, as well as this location more regularly. Hopefully more people get busted but it is up to us REAL sportsman to educate people, and contact the PFBC as soon as possible if you see people killing fish.

The sad part about it is the people who are killing them KNOW they aren't snakeheads. They know they're bowfin but still think they are just as harmful.
2015/01/23 20:16:44
troutguy
If you see people throwing this unique sportfish on the bank, call the NW PFBC Law Enforcement immediately at: 

(814) 337-0444   (save this number in your phone! never know when you'll come across poachers regardless of species)

Or better yet call a WCO directly if you have their number.
2015/01/23 20:27:17
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thank-you.......................  Thank-you..........................Thank-you. 
2015/01/23 20:44:32
troutguy
No problem   It is unfortunate this happens. They didn't put up signs at all the places I suggested, but at least they put up some. Is it making a difference? Idk, especially after seeing dead fish afterwards, but I guess it's a step in the right direction.

I actually have a few photos(of the "fishermen" and vehicle) of two guys I caught killing them in September of 2013. I couldn't call the PFBC office since it was after hours, and I didn't have any WCO contacts at the time. Did see an officer the next day and gave him all the info I had.

I would like to post those photos on here, but I'm not sure if it's against the site rules?????
2015/01/23 21:05:32
BeenThereDoneThat.
Yeah but it's a dam good start so if ya post a address where I can send my support, I'm ready to start typing.

PS.  If I can find the picture, I'll post it....................  caught one at Pymie fishing with a nephew this past summer.  Large Mouth Bass would be my comparison as to the fight in the fish. ((even better) just don't won't to make those guys mad(lol)).

Don't know about the picture, maybe a quick PM to Admin. will get ya some answers.  Good luck.
2015/01/23 21:19:46
troutguy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Yeah but it's a dam good start so if ya post a address where I can send my support, I'm ready to start typing.

Other than talking to WCOs in person, I actually sent in my thoughts to "The Fishing Hole" thing on the PFBC homepage(bottom left on the website). I suggested them putting up signs at some places, and a week later.....waddaya know, there's new signs at one of the locations. I'll have to dig through my emails to provide an address, but I don't think the PFBC likes to freely give away email addresses.........which is why they have "The Fishing Hole" feature on the website. They responded within a business day. Send me a PM if you'd like more info.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Don't know about the picture, maybe a quick PM to Admin. will get ya some answers.  Good luck.

Yeah that's what I'll probably end up doing. For all I know those guys got busted, but it's always good to post some mug shots

Definitely post that picture if you can find it! They are a blast to catch. Maybe you caught a wimpy one lol..............in my opinion they fight a lot harder than largemouths. Kinda a mix between a catfish and a trout maybe.....and have the strength of a carp. Fun sportfish. They even jump sometimes!!
2015/01/23 23:48:17
BeenThereDoneThat.
I'll try the fishing hole see if I can get a reply................

Looking for that picture and yes it was a wimpy one, on 4lb test using a 1/16 oz. jig and tube.  Fishing for crappy/gills. right at the campgrounds up from the Jamestown Marina.  It's still in there somewhere.  I hear they're not bad eating?  Sure do got a mouth full of teeth.  Those pictures you posted above sure are disheartening; seeing people killing because of ignorance!  Surely the posters will save a bunch in the future. 
2015/01/24 12:58:38
CAPTAIN HOOK
Good job along with a good post Nick. Just curious has anyone ever caught or seen those Snakeheads around here ?  
2015/01/24 13:44:51
BeenThereDoneThat.
As reported by the PBFC................
http://www.outdoornews.com/October-2013/Snakeheads-in-Delaware/

No spot at the base of the tail as found on the Bowfin.........  First indication it's a N. Snakehead.

POTOMAC RIVER SNAKEHEAD "BIG ONE!!!

I've watched several of these videos since we talked troutguy................  Each time the person referenced the fact that the fish was plentiful.  Amazing how fast they multiplied since being first found in the Philly area.

The video made by this dude is pretty interesting as he takes time to measure weigh and give a good view of teeth in this critter.

2015/01/24 14:41:56
troutguy
Yeah I guess in PA snakeheads are becoming more plentiful in the Philly area. Lower Delaware River system, etc.

Other than that I haven't heard of any caught in the state outside of SE PA.

Keep in mind not all bowfin have that big spot on the tail. I think it's only on males??

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account