2015/12/16 13:53:52
CAPTAIN HOOK
Got this photo from a friend recently. Caught in lower Shenango by this younger fisherman it's a extremely rare color phase of Walleye. Almost golden or orange colored looks really nice. Congrat's to him on sharing this photo of a truly different catch !

See Mike 55 there are a few still left
2015/12/16 15:19:03
Pauleye60
I'm no expert, but the spotted fins, bars on the side, and shortened mouth lend me to think that is a sauger. In any event, a beautiful fish and a lucky angler.
2015/12/16 16:29:20
roygpa
I think I might have taken that fish to the fish hatchery at Pymatuning, trying to keep it alive.
Hoping all the way that they wouldn't fine me for transporting a live wild fish, because of its appearance. 

-Roy
2015/12/16 16:57:19
Porktown
That is a really cool looking fish.

I've seen yellow perch that golden before.  Yellow perch / walleye hybrid?  If so, please stock them around here!!!  That would be some great eats.
2015/12/16 17:20:38
Big Tuna
I'm not seeing the white tipped tail? Sauger eye hybrid? Maybe
2015/12/16 18:52:17
chauncy
Same thought here big tuna. No white tipped tail. May be a saugeye.
2015/12/16 21:54:02
BeenThereDoneThat.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Got this photo from a friend recently. Caught in lower Shenango by this younger fisherman it's a extremely rare color phase of Walleye. Almost golden or orange colored looks really nice. Congrat's to him on sharing this photo of a truly different catch !

See Mike 55 there are a few still left

Sauger

Ohio DNR

**************************************************************************************************************
dentification: Saugeyes have variable body markings and coloration, but generally look like the Sauger, with saddles and blotches more subdued. In saugeyes, membranes of the spinous dorsal fin have distinct spots similar to those of a Sauger. A black blotch is also usually present at the posterior base of the spinous dorsal fin, like the Walleye. In saugeyes, a white spot is usually present at the tip of the lower caudal fin, also similar to Walleyes.
 PA PFBC

2015/12/23 08:08:56
Divemaster
That would be a Xanthic walleye. Color condition caused by the replacement of red pigment with yellow. Rare but not impossible to see them, it's the same condition that "golden" rainbows / "palominos" have.
2015/12/23 09:04:56
bingsbaits
roygpa
I think I might have taken that fish to the fish hatchery at Pymatuning, trying to keep it alive.
Hoping all the way that they wouldn't fine me for transporting a live wild fish, because of its appearance. 

-Roy

Why would you be fined for transporting a wild live fish ???

2015/12/23 09:45:36
roygpa
Because I thought it was illegal to transport wild live fish, but what do I know?

-Roy

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account