• Northwest PA
  • Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) (p.3)
2016/02/24 21:43:30
CAPTAIN HOOK
I think these will work for us too ! Maybe the Fish Commish will add these to their shopping site !

I can't help it .................LOL
2016/02/24 21:49:44
BeenThereDoneThat.
Works for me Brock, sign me up!
2016/02/24 21:50:29
CAPTAIN HOOK
The lighter side of Trout fishing on Shenango River...........

You got to laugh once in awhile ! Life's too short.............
2016/02/24 22:57:17
opsman
Captain, while you're at it see if they want to toss a few more smallies in there too!  Sounds like you fish the **** as much as I fish down around the bend.  Haven't fished it as hard as I used to.  From the first bridge by the bar down to the second bridge (the old one, not the super highway type) was some of the best smallmouth fishing anywhere.  I could always tell when the river was "right" by the two rocks downriver on the right that stuck out of the water.  If they were just jutting out, it was perfect, even though that second rock was deceptive as hell.  Only a few feet off shore, but boy you better have chest wader to get to it or you were in for a damp day!
2016/02/25 09:59:18
CAPTAIN HOOK
It's still a great Smallmouth fishery over the years. This Fall, the sluice area was loaded with them mostly in the 10-15" range. Down in the stretch your talking no doubt just as good. I took my daughter there a few years ago and she had a blast must have caught over twenty Bass herself. Once again no trophy size but plenty of little scrappers steady. It's a great place for younger kids that want to have fun catching a lot of fish. They will need hip boots or waders to fish the better areas, but above the double bridges can be shore or bank fished mostly on the right side looking up. Late Spring on into Summer is usually best .

Time flies by 08 !   She had a blast this day.......

2016/02/25 11:15:47
eyesandgillz
The YSPA in Coulter, PA, does the walleye Fingerling stocking on the Yough as much as they can.  Many years, 1500 fingerlings get stocked by a fairly small club. 
No reason something like this couldn't be done for this stretch of the Shenango river and due to its size, etc., the return would most likely be better....

2016/02/25 21:37:18
troutguy
I don't think stocking bass is necessary, except for situations like reintroducing them to a lake that was drained or had a fish kill and that kinda stuff. As we all know there's plenty of places with good wild populations. Shenango obviously one of them!

What ever happened to the PFBC's Resource First thing???  The primary focus should be on maintaining and improving our current wild populations, as well as habitat, and then fish stockings. And when it comes to stockings, focus on native species first, and locations where it's worthwhile to stock(the waterway can support the species, angler interest is at a good level, etc.) and the fishery can be managed as a put and grow type fishery. And stockings of non-native species is an added bonus if the funds are available.

For trout:

If the creek already has trout on it's own.................................................do not waste money stocking it.
If the creek can't support trout any longer than a couple months...............do not waste money stocking it.
If the creek is stocked only for a short rope 'em up gig.............................that's stupid.
If the creek can't support a decent pop. of wild trout, but can support a worthwhile seasonal stocked fishery............stock it.

I don't want to see stockings cut at places that can support good stocked fisheries while stockings are NOT cut on wild streams.

I don't want to see walleye and other warmwater fish stockings cut at places that need stocked while stockings are NOT cut on wild trout streams.

My favorite wild trout stream is stocked with trout......but shouldn't. The Shenango River is no longer stocked with walleye.....but should. Poor use of money. It's not rocket science!!!

Besides actually fishing for and catching the fish, there's also one other reason why I like some places to get stocked with trout. Us humans may not like the taste of rubber rainbows, but some of our fishy friends with teeth might   It's an added food source! For real!

One thing I find funny is everyone is all worried about the smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna and we have to save them, but smallmouths aren't even native to the Susquehanna watershed!!!! In PA they're only native to the Ohio River and Lake Erie systems. BUT, the fact that the smallmouth bass population there.......native or not.......has been declining shows that something is very wrong with the health of the river, and it needs to be figured out and fixed ASAP. It's a big issue

2016/02/26 09:04:33
BeenThereDoneThat.
Well said Troutguy......

I've nothing against trout, actually use to fish for them (sshhhh), it's the program I see as a huge waste of money. I quit the very year the trout stamp was introduced, not because I am cheap (because I am) but, the huge waste of money.

As for the Susquehanna, a wonderful bass fishery along with many other species.  I always looked forward to stopping at the travel plazas near the river and talking with the anglers having breakfast before they hit the water.  Geez some of those guys could out BS the best of the best on this thread, (not mentioning any names) but they always spoke of just how great the fishing could be, leaving me drooling, as I returned to my office to continue my journey.

Then one day, came the reports of three eyed hermaphrodite half tailed one lipped bass being caught followed by, the biologist and their welders.  

The culprit: HARRISBURG, Pa. (Dec. 14) - Based on a multi-agency, multi-year study of one of the most complex river systems in Pennsylvania, the two most likely causes for the population decline of smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna River are endocrine disrupting compounds and herbicides; and pathogens and parasites.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC), along with nearly 50 participants and 6 partner agencies, released the findings today that narrow the likely causes from an initial field of 14 candidate causes to those two. More research into these causes is needed, but evidence collected during the study points to these likely sources more than any other candidate causes.

Following a smallmouth bass population crash in 2005, and additional observed maladies, such as tumors and lesions on smallmouth bass, the team used ground-breaking monitoring strategies to collect more than 30,000 water quality records annually, along with review of existing research to isolate the possible causes keeping young-of-the-year smallmouth bass from growing to adulthood. 

For those of you with inquiring minds that wonder what endocrine disrupting compounds might be; Endocrine disrupting compounds encompass a variety of chemical classes, including drugs, pesticides, compounds used in the plastics industry and in consumer products, industrial by-products and pollutants, and even some naturally produced botanical chemicals. Some are pervasive and widely dispersed in the environment and may bio-accumulate. 

How do they affect the environment;  Specifically, endocrine disruptors may be associated with the development of learning disorders, severe ADD,  brain development problems; deformations of the body (including limbs); breast cancer, prostate cancer, thyroid and other cancers; sexual development problems such as feminizing of males or masculinizing effects on females, etc. 

Scary huh?  What..........?  Wait, why is the EPA not climbing all over this situation?  Good question, I suppose, and I doubt that we will ever know the truth.  I just hope B.A.S.S. appreciates all the effort, sacrifice and, money (donated or otherwise). 

2016/02/26 10:54:51
CAPTAIN HOOK
Sounds bad ! What's the warning on eating those ? Even holding one ? They stopped our Walleye stocking because of a so called higher PCB content equal to the Lake Erie warnings. Go figure ! 
2016/02/26 17:21:53
crappiefisher
  They don't stock Lake Erie with Eyes.

crappy

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account