2012/05/03 07:06:54
TheBlueLagoon
Couldn't agree more with the assumption of the gizzard shad destroying the panfish population namely the crappie. Crappie was abundant up until a couple years ago. The amish have always been around, the gizzard shad haven't...watch pretty soon they'll start putting hybrid stripers in Wilhelm to eliminate the gizzard shad. I would also have to think the gizzard shad have had both a negative and positive effect on the walleye, l/m, and muskie population, providing a valuable food source but also alot of the walleye, l/m and muskie fingerling/fry prob have been gobbled up by those **** gizzard shad. 48% of their catch that is a CRAZY percentage.

Obviously Gizzard shad is the primary "bait fish" in Wilhelm, does Wilhelm have any others?
2012/05/03 07:20:45
Pork

ORIGINAL: TheBlueLagoon

Couldn't agree more with the assumption of the gizzard shad destroying the panfish population namely the crappie. Crappie was abundant up until a couple years ago. The amish have always been around, the gizzard shad haven't...watch pretty soon they'll start putting hybrid stripers in Wilhelm to eliminate the gizzard shad. I would also have to think the gizzard shad have had both a negative and positive effect on the walleye, l/m, and muskie population, providing a valuable food source but also alot of the walleye, l/m and muskie fingerling/fry prob have been gobbled up by those **** gizzard shad. 48% of their catch that is a CRAZY percentage.

Obviously Gizzard shad is the primary "bait fish" in Wilhelm, does Wilhelm have any others?

They don't eat fry...just plankton & plant matter.
That's why they're effecting the panfish population more than the rest...
both compete for the same forage, there are just waaaay more G.shad than panfish at this point, so the food supply for the panfish is limited.
Thus you end up with a lot of 3-4" crappie you can almost see through.

At least that's my understanding....here's a link about the G.shad...
Gizzard shad
2012/05/03 08:10:01
TheBlueLagoon
Thanks for the info Pork!
2012/05/03 10:16:07
Bogeyjoker
My guess is the "poor" walleye fishing reported is similar to the "poor walleye fishing" phenomenon at Chautauqua. With an incredible amount of biomass in Chautauqua of small yellow and white perch, the 'eyes on Chautauqua have an absolute smorgasbord to dine on...making jigging raps and crawler harnesses less effective. Walleye anglers lament the fact that walleye fishing isn't like it used to be, while fisheries biologists state that the walleye population is healthy...both in quantity and quality. You've got a better shot at a 10#+ fish on Chautauqua than you do on Erie.

While I agree that the shad have decimated the crappie population on Wilhelm...I'd bet the walleye population is just fine...and very fat.
2012/05/04 11:48:52
TheBlueLagoon
Does anyone have information on bait shops around Wilhelm that open Early?...made a few calls and everyone says 7, which is LATE to me. any info would be great!
2012/05/04 14:40:09
jmh58
Just a thought blue.. Is there a place close to you that you can get bait in the eve before you go?? Just asking!!! John
2012/05/04 17:55:29
TheBlueLagoon
Thanks John, i thought of that, closest place is about half hour away Lock 3 bait and tackle. Afraid they would die over night/on the way up. I never understood why bait shops open so late when most fisherman like to hit the lakes early.
2012/05/04 19:59:30
harrypelles

ORIGINAL: TheBlueLagoon

Does anyone have information on bait shops around Wilhelm that open Early?...made a few calls and everyone says 7, which is LATE to me. any info would be great!

Hey blue, have you tried Fergie's? They're not far from the marina.

I used to go there early-early when I was younger - before daybreak - and they would be open. This was probably 15 years ago. Not sure if they're the same now.

Fergie's Sporting Goods‎
857 Georgetown Road
Sandy Lake, PA 16145
Maurice K Goddard State Park‎
(724) 253-3655

Google Maps Link
2012/05/04 20:53:43
smally hunter
its been a couple of weeks since ive been up there but i believe fergies is open 7 to 6... thats not 100% though cuz they might have changed it with the warmer weather
2012/05/04 22:52:09
wade alexander
they open at 7... i had minnies alive for 3 days before i finally poured them in the pond the other day... was pretty suprised lol

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account