2016/05/14 18:17:08
slabfinder
Bottom bouncer and worm harness!
2016/05/15 00:55:10
CAPTAIN HOOK
I agree with old dog I'd start with floating jig heads first, tipped with crawlers and minnows. Much easier on snagging up less frequent especially with a younger fisherman. Make sure you have enough sinker weight ahead of you jigs so you are tapping bottom not dragging.  Remember the more wind you have you may have to add more weight ,the opposite with less.

I personally like bright colors like chartreus greens , hot oranges , and whites for my choice of floating jigs. They also come in different sizes so you should have a variety since they are not too expensive.  

Plan B is to learn to use slip bobber rigs even for wind drifting. You can control your depth better and put your bait right in the exact zone you want. You can fish a slip bobber 20ft. deep or whatever depth you want. And you know exactly when you have a strike ! We use to murder the Crappie with slip bobbers setups in the old stump area in Linesville . You'll need slip bobbers in different sizes and bobber stops. Watch a few videos on U- Tube they should have some. Who doesn't get a thrill out of a bobber disappearing from the surface and it can be deadly !    
2016/05/15 01:17:01
ZelieSam
I loves me some bobbers.  I'd rather bobber fish than any other kind of fishing.  That said... slip bobbers are a gigantic PITA.  They NEVER work perfectly without screwing with you.  And they are not super easy to set up right.  

But I agree with the Captain.  Slip bobbers will slay if you get them dialed in and they choose to work for you.  
2016/05/15 12:41:09
slabfinder
Anyone can catch fish drifting but if your after quantity you need some gear that will eliminate unproductive water. A good fish finder, trolling motor, and a reliable outboard are musts. Someone can drift for three hours a small footprint of water, while trolling you will have at least three passes in that area. You have to find out "how" fast the fish want the bait. S bends will determine that. Good luck
2016/05/15 18:23:04
Big Tuna
Simply fishing floating jig heads, crawlers or fathead and enough split shot to make contact with bottom. When my uncle was alive we only used one bait a ribbon leach on a home made Colorado blade about the size of a quarter. He swear by leaches,we buy or collect our own in a small steam in Ohio. We even brought them to Canada on our twice a year trips. They do produce. I prefer trolling plugs but that just me. Wading Raps,trolling tots or wiggle warts. Good fishing
2016/05/15 19:43:38
opsman
They still do!  Always hang a June bug spinner with night crawler on #2 hook.  Red/white, yellow/red or black/yellow.  Still produce, too!  CP swing, now there's a blast from the past,  Right up there with a purple rooster tail.
2016/05/15 19:55:59
crappiefisher
 Summer time, the ole Erie Derie with meat slow trolled the outer weed edges was a fav. ov mine.

crappy
2016/05/16 08:52:09
BeenThereDoneThat.
slabfinder
Anyone can catch fish drifting but if your after quantity you need some gear that will eliminate unproductive water. A good fish finder, trolling motor, and a reliable outboard are musts. Someone can drift for three hours a small footprint of water, while trolling you will have at least three passes in that area. You have to find out "how" fast the fish want the bait. S bends will determine that. Good luck

Anyone...............????      Ummmmmm.......  Guess he don't know me too well; do he?  (lmao)

C P SWINGS............  rule!    Followed by June Bugs, Erie Deeries, etc. etc.

Good read fellers, keep them suggestions comin',  I'm all ears.  Something has gotta work for me, sooner or later.    Uhhh, forget the later part, it's getting late enough for this old guy.  I'm thinkin' of taking up tennis or bicycle racing. 
2016/05/16 10:55:56
seanymph
has anyone tried bottom bouncers?
2016/05/16 11:09:18
outasync
Never tried drifting bottom bouncers. I troll 1.5 oz for under 20 2 oz for over. If I'm drifting I normally use 1/4 oz casting sinkers for slow drifts 1/2 for faster or deep water

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account