2016/05/14 10:53:04
ready2fish
Need some suggestions/help please. I have never fished off shore per se for anything at Pymatuning. All my panfish experience there is basically in the shallows or around shoreline cover. That bite is slowly fading right now. I'd like to take my 10 year old fishing and I often see reports of anglers catching walleye and crappie while "drift" fishing. 

Can anyone kindly suggest a bait/rig/technique to use? I thought about simple lead lead jigs and grub tails tipped with either crawlers or fatheads? Also considered a slip sinker, swivel, leader, and floating jig tipped with a crawler or fathead?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly helpful. Most of my experience there is chasing bass along the shorelines and I actually do quite well on the crappies doing the exact same thing, just downsizing the baits. It requires very accurate casts and pitches, just not a great way to fish with a 10 year old, and I'd like her to have a good time. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 
2016/05/14 11:19:02
outasync
Right now I'd be looking for the shallows. Any humps with weeds on top you'll find fish on the edges. Drifting just a plain jig head and half a crawler or jig and body with fathead. We always remove the tail since more times than not it just gets in the way.
2016/05/14 11:32:10
BeenThereDoneThat.
Oh my gosh ready2fish, I asked a similar question last year and now I have four new rods, four new line counter reels,, spools of lead core line, two new tackle boxes filled with every kind of proven walleye lures, planer boards and, a old cat litter bucket filled with 8 dozen crawlers; all recommended by walleye anglers of Pymie.

My best advice to you is not take suggestions from me because you already have the old school proven lures and know how to use them, you just need to know where and when to catch them.

Good luck, have a ball fishing with that young man and remember it ain't about the catching, it just makes it funner, if yinz do.

C'mon sum yinz walleye pros, ready needs a "spot burn" or two and honest, I'll plug my ears so I can't hear what you tell him!  Ya could even send him a PM or two.
2016/05/14 12:26:48
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Like outasync said, simple jig head and crawler works great. We usually fish a few different colors until the fish tell us which one they want, then switch the other poles over to the same.
2016/05/14 12:28:40
outasync
Sometimes a whacky rigged half crawler or leach under a float can be deadly too tho especially if you figure out a pattern. Anchor outside and throw them in and watch and wait
2016/05/14 13:30:53
ready2fish
BeenThereDoneThat.
Oh my gosh ready2fish, I asked a similar question last year and now I have four new rods, four new line counter reels,, spools of lead core line, two new tackle boxes filled with every kind of proven walleye lures, planer boards and, a old cat litter bucket filled with 8 dozen crawlers; all recommended by walleye anglers of Pymie.

My best advice to you is not take suggestions from me because you already have the old school proven lures and know how to use them, you just need to know where and when to catch them.

Good luck, have a ball fishing with that young man and remember it ain't about the catching, it just makes it funner, if yinz do.

C'mon sum yinz walleye pros, ready needs a "spot burn" or two and honest, I'll plug my ears so I can't hear what you tell him!  Ya could even send him a PM or two.

My young lady is a pretty darn good fisherwoman, just needs her casting skills polished up a little. I also have 2 boats, and enough rods/reels/tackle to open my own shop lol. As I said, I mainly do the bass thing and frankly, I love to chase crappies to eat, and she likes to eat walleye and crappie, so anything we catch in that regard will be awesome. No need for a spot burn, I have plenty of ideas on where to locate some fish, but if someone wants to point me to a place by PM, by all means that would be a classy move. 
2016/05/14 13:32:21
ready2fish
Thanks all. Seems I was thinking along the right line. 

2016/05/14 13:35:34
crappiefisher
Plain Crawler with shot ov air in tail, no jig or harness needed.

crappy
2016/05/14 13:38:08
BeenThereDoneThat.
Oops, my bad sorry!  woman I'm sure I meant young woman.......  stupid spel chek   [he said with foot in mouth]
2016/05/14 14:29:46
ZelieSam
SO MANY OPTIONS!  Seriously, there must be hundreds of variations of rigs from simple to crazy for drift fishing.  And I'm no genius walleye guy, but I think I can add a bit of value for this topic.  

Do yourself a big favor, especially if you don't want to buy rigs.  Learn two knots: DROPPER LOOP and SNELL

I like fluorocarbon leader and I always have some in my tackle kit, so here's the rig I'd tie for a simple drift.  Three foot of leader, tie a surgeon's loop at the bottom.  That's for your sinker (bank, bell).  About a foot above that tie a small dropper loop.  That's to attach your hook, or say a crawler harness (spinner and a couple snelled hooks).  Tie a swivel to the other end and attach to your line.  Drop this straight down until it hits bottom, let out a bit of line and drift away.  

That is a basic rig that can be anything from a 4 loop/hook bottom rig (I tie a bunch of those every time I take a deep sea charter) to a two or three hook crappie rig, a one hook catfish rig, etc.  You can switch it up a bit like this:

Snell a #4 or #2 octopus hook (I love the trokar brand, SO sharp) onto your line, or a leader.  About 18" from the hook tie a dropper loop.  That's for your sinker.  That will stay a bit more on the bottom, and that's the rig (with a bit bigger hook) I use for channel cats.  Nose hooked minnow, shiner, chub for walleye.  Tail hook a small perch or bluegill if you are sitting for cats (as long as you aren't in a lake that has minimum size for panfish!).  

You can go super simple and tie a crawler harness (or whatever) straight to your line and then put 2 or 3 big splitshots a foot or two in front.  I don't favor this method for drifting, but a lot of guys use it.  Or those lead with rubber core sinkers that go inline (don't care for those either).  

Google and YouTube are your friend for knots and rigs.  Tons of examples that will match what you want and show you how to tie it.

Good luck out there!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account