2016/05/29 10:46:45
BeenThereDoneThat.
Ready thanks for a great report, sure brought back some fond memories fishing Wilhelm with my kids. Congratulations on your catching, it sounds like you were busy removing lots of fish off your fishing buddies hook.      

Happy to hear about the Musky's in the stump area too, as I was fishing that area last fall and saw huge shad swimming about. 

Tight lines and good times.
2016/05/29 10:47:38
mopars0
Thanks for the update ...ready2fish , sounds like a fun day you had and always great to spend it with your kids...I was up last Monday and did pretty good with the crappie's brought 12 home caught 25 from 4-8 pm wife doesn't eat the fish so 12 makes me a good meal ...lol Probably hit again this week depending on the weather , figured it would be a good idea to stay away over the Holiday weekend...maybe do some trolling with hot n tots to see what happens ... Good luck to you ......
2016/05/29 11:09:21
mopars0
BeenThereDoneThat    Happy to hear about the Musky's in the stump area too, as I was fishing that area last fall and saw huge shad swimming about.    Tight lines and good times.
. Always liked it up in the stumps did pretty well with the bass , last year though I was up there and got high centered on a stump that I didn't see. Rocked boat back and forward several times but nothing even fired motor up figured I could get it off for sure ..... Nope , it was getting dark and I thought oh crap time to get ahold of BTDT for some help.... Lol but wait I didn't have his phone # only way to get ahold of him was by the Internet but I rocked it one more time and it came free and I got the heck out of there .... Loaded boat and went home ..... Haven't been back to stumps ..... So maybe this year !!! So BTDT listen for my SOS call .... Lol
2016/06/06 22:04:00
BeenThereDoneThat.
MY WILHELM ADVENTURES by BTDT................

Beautiful day..

How could one, not call off sick, from work on a day like today?    A near perfect wind from the West giving those who desired, a fantastic drift.

I chose to put to use my trolling gear, pulling Flicker Shads and Shadow Raps beginning at launch four, doing circles, zig zags, and straight lining until ending just East of launch one.   Once again, I found numbers of hungry Crappie, Perch, and Blue Gills but sadly, nothing worth putting in the box.

These guys were certainly hungry, chasing a sizable bait at 1.8 to 2 MPH then getting, the entire treble stuck in their face. 

I spent the last hour of a seven hour day tossing red and white foam ant's I hand tied [he said gloating] along with red and white buck tails in the 1/32 oz range.  But as my luck has it, once again nothing big enough to invite home, for dinner.

Reports from a few other boats boasted Crappie and Perch with one fair Walleye but I didn't hear or see size.

I should also mention just how fortunate I am to have such an understanding wife.  She never questioned the message I left on her voice mail as to why I was calling off sick, and I would not be able to get to her honeydew list today.

Tight lines and good times.
2016/06/07 14:52:04
tippecanoe
I am glad to hear you guys are having some success up there.  Any chance the weeds will come back?  Were/are they still doing winter draw downs to kill the weeds?  Cool to hear there are some musky in there.  Maybe(doubtfully hopeful) they will have an impact on the shad situation.
2016/06/07 15:25:52
tippecanoe
I am glad to hear you guys are having some success up there.  Any chance the weeds will come back?  Were/are they still doing winter draw downs to kill the weeds?  Cool to hear there are some musky in there.  Maybe(doubtfully hopeful) they will have an impact on the shad situation.
2016/06/07 18:30:21
BeenThereDoneThat.
Sorry to say Wilhelm does not get drawn down in the winter, to control the weeds.  Weeds would be back in full force Tippe if the Fish Commish (or park) would leave them alone.  

Fishing the lake now, one can find healthy 'pods' of weeds beginning to grow, however if past practices continue, they will soon be brown and down.

Always have been Musky, Northern and Walleye too, until the high echelon tried making Wilhelm a "Bass specific" lake.  Well since that idea got flushed, the toothy critters are once again being restocked......  so we are told. 
2016/06/07 18:46:19
outasync
Always seems to be decent weed beds back in the stumps. I just hope we don't get a nasty algae bloom again this year. It killed the fishing when it turned to pea soup last year.
2016/06/07 18:58:36
BeenThereDoneThat.
I hear tell that the algae is a result of too much Carp poop!
2016/07/03 23:03:56
BeenThereDoneThat.
Today I went, I plotted, I trolled, I caught and I lost........  my favorite lure  [awwww] on a stupid piece of rope that was probably still tied to the anchor, on a sunken boat or sumpthin.  

My retriever had the lure and I could see everything attached to a rope as I pulled both fishing and retriever line toward the surface but I couldn't get the mess close enough, to the surface, to get a hand on any of it.  I thought,  re-position the boat and maybe, I could muster that little bit more of needed slack to reach my lure and that's when, the knot on my fishing line broke and for reasons unknown, my retriever let go too. [a little sympathy; if you please]

However, it was a beautiful evening with a few dozen kayaks coming and going, along with several pontoons loaded with tourist enjoying their tour of the lake.

As for the fishing, nothing to brag about even though, me catching any fish is news.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to place an order with FishUSA, I'm hoping they will have another (dozen)  of my favorite fishing lure.

Tight lines and good times, this 4th of July.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account