2016/05/16 11:56:37
mopars0

Have to agree with ya BTDT ....everything you say about the lake but I still fish it hoping for a come back, it is better...a lot of good memories on the lake too.  Last year we did get some better fish nothing like pymie...but I will take it. Grandson took a nice walleye 25" and that was the biggest all year mainly in the teens nothing to write home about did manage a few for dinner , crappie were pretty much small did keep a few that were around 9"-10"... but not many of those.  Also a musky 28" thought i was a nice walleye until I got it to the boat but hey it was fun landing it and releasing it... Plan on hitting it later this week so we will see how things go.....picture is grandson last year, musky was from last year also.....so they are there just have to work for them....also like just being out on the water enjoying life...

2016/05/16 11:58:47
outasync
The bass fishing season that was the most memorable was the year they lowered the water level for work on the dam. The weeds really took off that year and alot of big bass were caught especially on top water. I do believe the year after that is when I first started seeing the shad.
2016/05/18 23:20:18
BeenThereDoneThat.
A fishin I did went and I did some catchin too.  Pestered, again, all day by Crappie and Perch as well.  No Walleye today so I tossed a few Crappie in the box and I returned a nice Large Mouth that would of tasted pretty good having been caught in 60 degree water.

Enjoyed a shore lunch, in the boat, of baloney samidges, pretzel sticks and raspberry ice tea.   Garlic baloney good; garlic fish bad, blehhh!

Nice huh? 5 in the box.
 Nice too, huh?

I saw, a total of five boats, fishing between the Marina and the East Bend.  Most were drift fishing and I, well I was trolling and looking goood.

Tight lines and good times.

2016/05/20 22:28:20
fishin coyote
Took the new to me boat out tonight for a shakedown run. Hammered the gills for an hour and had an enjoyable evening boat ride with the Mrs.. There were quite a few boaters out. I talked to one older fellow who said he did well on the crappies.
Mike
2016/05/20 22:44:06
BeenThereDoneThat.
Inquiring minds want to know Yote, tell us more of this new, to you, boat.

Congratulation on both your catching and the new rig.
2016/05/21 21:13:44
fishin coyote
BDTD,
The new to me ride is a 16' Crestliner Angler powered by a 20 horse Yamaha.
Mike
2016/05/21 23:30:49
BeenThereDoneThat.
Nice Mike, I hope to see you and your new ride on Wilhelm, congratulations again.
2016/05/22 12:55:17
EMitch
My oldest son and I spent an entire day on Wilhelm last October, and it was one tough day of fishin'! 2 largemouths on the far shore from the launch by drifting, then we went down by the dam, did some trolling, but no takers. We then headed up lake toward the shallows and used controlled drifts all the way back to the launch in the deeper water of the creek channel. We had some very light hits, but we could not boat a fish. After the wind and light rain all day, it was good to trailer the boat and head home. I haven't given up on Wilhelm yet, but I prefer fall fishing and live only a mile from the Allegheny near Freeport, so that's where I spend most of my time.
2016/05/24 10:27:16
mopars0
Hit Wilhelm yesterday afternoon , caught 25 crappie 12 1/2" was biggest brought 11 home ... 9-10" mainly .... 7-8" threw them back to grow some ... No walleye but I'll take it.

2016/05/29 09:06:45
ready2fish
Took my daughter to Wilhelm yesterday. The first couple hours we spent in the stumps pestering gills in bedding areas. Non stop action, not much in terms of keeper size. She wanted to eat her lunch on the way out which gave me the opportunity to bass fish a little. I managed one bass on my fifth or sixth flip, and it was a good one. Easily 5 pounds and obviously post spawn. She was probably over 6 prior to the spawn. Of particular note, saw one giant musky while heading to the stumps, (between the boom and first large island), plus had one chase my bass jig back to the boat while flipping on the way out. 

We then headed down lake. Ran down to an area I call the narrows. Finding colonies of gills was easy and we absolutely hammered them. Simple technique, casting 1" white grubs, 1/32 oz heads, tipped with maggots. It was every cast. 

Gills are obviously on beds everywhere. Bass are done by the looks of what I saw. 

One thing I noticed, water clarity. I can't recall seeing the water so clear this time of year. When the sun was high I could easily see down 5-6 feet. Had there not been a slight wind, and pollen on the surface, it would have been 7-8 feet easily. 

May head back over today, will depend on forecasted storms. The lake was busy, as is to be expected on a holiday weekend. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account