2016/04/01 20:19:13
BeenThereDoneThat.
GilliganJR
BeenThereDoneThat.

In my book, the Boga Grips are the best possible means to prevent injury to both fish and angler.

Thank-you.

Haven't read that book.  The Boga Grips: A gathering of short stories by BeenThereDoneThat
It's not on Amazon.  is this an April Fools?  not cool man.

************************************************************************************************************

April fools joke is on me............  but, no problem, I've been wrong about people before.

************************************************************************************************************

[/quote=D-nymph]
Nobody carries gaffs in freshwater, don't be ridiculous. 

"The best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner without injury", as you say, is with single hooked barbless baits/lures/flies and without a boga.

Maybe in your dream world D-nymph nobody carries gaffs in fresh water and, if they did stop, it's because they bought a Boga Grip.  Again, the majority of the anglers do not target Musky and catch the fish entirely from luck.  When they do, the fish will most likely be taken into the boat or, taken to shore before being returned  to the water (hopefully) unharmed.  As far as being ridiculous, see how far you get with the barb less hook suggestion or, leaving the fish in the water idea.

2016/04/04 11:09:55
GilliganJR
say something useful.  please.  
2016/04/04 11:26:57
BeenThereDoneThat.
GilliganJR
say something useful.  please.  

Practice what you preach..........  like I said the joke is on me, my bad; serves me right for making a wrong evaluation, of someones character.
2016/04/04 11:31:27
D-nymph
BeenThereDoneThat.
GilliganJR
BeenThereDoneThat.

In my book, the Boga Grips are the best possible means to prevent injury to both fish and angler.

Thank-you.

Haven't read that book.  The Boga Grips: A gathering of short stories by BeenThereDoneThat
It's not on Amazon.  is this an April Fools?  not cool man.

April fools joke is on me............  but, no problem, I've been wrong about people before.

[/quote=D-nymph]
Nobody carries gaffs in freshwater, don't be ridiculous. 

"The best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner without injury", as you say, is with single hooked barbless baits/lures/flies and without a boga.

Maybe in your dream world D-nymph nobody carries gaffs in fresh water and, if they did stop, it's because they bought a Boga Grip.  Again, the majority of the anglers do not target Musky and catch the fish entirely from luck.  When they do, the fish will most likely be taken into the boat or, taken to shore before being returned  to the water (hopefully) unharmed.  As far as being ridiculous, see how far you get with the barb less hook suggestion or, leaving the fish in the water idea.

Huh? 

I fish barbless, you don't have to, but I do.  I do it because it's better for those slow growing old beasts [musky are probably similar to yourself, slow growing (mentally) and old that is..].  I'd rather lose one than kill it if I can avoid doing so. 
2016/04/04 11:34:52
D-nymph
anzomcik
Musky fishing is a blood sport, plain and simple. D-nymph I think you understand what my examples are ment to show. Your right any vertical hold can be damaging. But I do not know any other way to lift a fish into a boat than with some amount of vertical lift.

Have you ever seen a gill plate get ripped out from a hand lift? I have, and have it happen to myself as well with a fish thrashing in the net I'm about to lift. Fish was calm until I got it about half out then head shaked till I dropped it back in net. She swam away but not sure if she made it.

Is the boga perfect, nope nothing is. But if you know how to use it, it's the best method of safely releasing musky for both fish and angler. Education is key to teach people proper way to use a boga.

The only way to protect musky 100% is to not fish for them.

I know it's a blood sport, we're in the same game, and I'm sure you do your best.  And your last sentence is correct.  That's why we just do the best we can and make choices we think are best for us & the fish.  Nothing illegal with your boga, but you'll never catch me with one, nor anyone in my boat.  Personal preference & choice because I believe they are used improper and lazily a lot more often than not (not saying you do, just that a lot do).
2016/04/04 11:59:14
BeenThereDoneThat.
Huh?  

I fish barbless, you don't have to, but I do.  I do it because it's better for those slow growing old beasts [musky are probably similar to yourself, slow growing (mentally) and old that is..].  I'd rather lose one than kill it if I can avoid doing so. ~ D-Nymph

*************************************************************************************************************

That's wonderful you choose to fish using barbless hooks however, the majority of anglers don't whether they target the "slow growing old beast" or not.  Therefore, controlling the fish is of the essence in order that the "barbed hooks"  be removed as safely as possible to prevent injury to the "slow growing old beast" or angler.  So you see, like yourself, many anglers wish to insure they can return a fish safely, rather than injure or kill it.

Perhaps your understanding of the use of Boga or other similar grips is merely, your inability, to comprehend (or read) the included instructions.
2016/04/04 12:08:13
D-nymph
A grand total of 0 PA anglers carry a friggin' gaff in their boats.
2016/04/04 12:43:06
BeenThereDoneThat.
D-nymph
A grand total of 0 PA anglers carry a friggin' gaff in their boats.

SURVEY SAYS !!!!!

x    x    x  

2016/04/04 12:49:54
BeenThereDoneThat.
Summary of Pennsylvania Fishing Laws and Regulations ...fishandboat.com/.../equipment.h... 
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

RODS, LINES, AND HOOKS – An angler may use a maximum of three lines fished ...GAFF OR LANDING NET – A gaff or landing net is permitted to assist in ...
2016/04/04 12:57:09
outasync
I know several guys that carry and use gaffs

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account