2016/03/29 19:17:57
H3Fisher
Most important tool is your release tools. You do not want to over-stress the fish and injure yourself or the fish, they will slice you right open.

Jerk baits and spinners have provided me the best catches. Was out on French Creek this past Sunday and caught a nice fat 43 inch ski. Used a 10inch jerk bait and it crushed it on a couple second pause while it was floating up after it stalked it and backed off.

Also, the white bead I keep above my leader to prevent damage to the rod eye and act as a attractant (I guess).  Like ANZ stated, the right gear is not cheap and using heavier tackle prevents lost fish or lures.

I run a 12 inch 110lb Fluro Leader and 80lb braided line. With the right gear, I had the fish hooked, netted, un-hooked and revived within a couple minutes. Also, don't forget to babysit them and keep them afloat till they go to swim off on their own.

2016/03/29 20:43:59
workcanwait....
Thanks for all the replies keep em coming...
The bead is a great idea.
I have a nice long pair of pliers and a long handled salmon net.
Going to pick up a spreader for mouth...anything else you guys using to unhook them.
I do know fish and how to revive and release.
I am stuck with heavy bass gear now but probably will buy new rod and reel if fever gets any worse.

Got a 33 in Pike today that made my day...

Thanks again...WCW
2016/03/29 21:09:09
The Ref
Get a pair of gloves for handling the fish around the boat and for unhooking. I'm with what the other guys say about good Muskie gear. I use #80 braided Rip Cord from cabelas it's pricey but you can get a few seasons out of it. Fluorocarbon leaders #100 and the bead thing too. Learn the Palomar knot. When you get to the braided you need to put mono backing on first or it's going to slip. Don't skimp on the reel but you can get a very good rod for much less than the pricey St Croix.
Tim
2016/03/29 21:21:49
workcanwait....
What type of gloves?
Bear with me its a new world to me and the one thing I knew from the start is handling a big one would be a challenge would like to be prepared really do not want to harm fish or myself.
WCW

2016/03/29 21:55:46
Big Steve
Glove, http://www.fishusa.com/pr...y-Fish-Handling-Glove. I cannot personally vouch for them however. YouTube the Leech Lake lip lock, and stay away from knock off bogas, or bogas themselves if you can, just my preference.

I couldn't agree more about the release tools being the most important part of your gear. Knipex makes some great hook cutters and Xuron makes the best split ring pliers I have ever used. Look at Tackle Industries for an affordable and durable rod. As far as reels, the Calcutta 400b and Curado 300e are workhorses The Okuma Komodo is a decent reel as well.

The Complete Guide to Musky Hunting, is great starting point for reading material.

A lot of these guys have message boards and are more than willing to help, Heiting is at the Musky Hunter, Dahlberg is at http://www.purpledesert.n...1c45e0ee694bd2a1fc940e

This is a good site as well. http://muskie.outdoorsfir...oard/category-view.asp

Happy Hunting
2016/03/29 22:07:07
The Ref
Any type of a tight fitting work glove will do. Good luck and if I can ever help you out just ask.
Tim
2016/03/30 10:46:47
D-nymph
Whatever you do, just don't ever use those boga grips.  They break jaws.  If anyone feels they need a boga grip because you are too scared to unhook & release a musky, take up some other sport, please.  Bogas are for fish that go into the cooler.
2016/03/30 15:03:01
anzomcik
D-nymph
Whatever you do, just don't ever use those boga grips.  They break jaws.  If anyone feels they need a boga grip because you are too scared to unhook & release a musky, take up some other sport, please.  Bogas are for fish that go into the cooler.

That is simply not true. The Boga grip does not break jaws the tool can freely spin, so when the fish rolls the tool also rotates. you have lumped in cheaper knock offs in calling them Boga grips. The cheaper knocks do not spin and will break jaws.

For the average angler they can not justify the cost of a real boga. For the hard core musky guys who catch more than a few muskies a year it is an valuable tool that gets used to protect the fisherman and the fish believe it or not.

It's a tool.

I am including a link below, it's a podcast that can be streamed on your computer, phone or subscribed to and downloaded. I bet if you listen the the episode I linked in you would change your opinion.

http://musky-talk.madewit...sode-1-the-boga-grip/#
2016/03/30 16:07:22
D-nymph
I appreciate your opinion, mine remains the same.  Hardcore musky guys can use so many other methods, appropriate net, cradle, etc. 

I'm thinking less about unhooking the fish and a lot more about the people I see holding the fish up by the boga jaws for a photo with the vast majority of its weight hanging from that pinch point.  a 45" fish, hanging from a boga or knock off is going to harm that fish whether the boga spins or not.

2016/03/30 16:58:46
anzomcik
How is verticals holding a musky by its jaw with a boga different than vertical holding by a persons hand? Isn't the fishs weight still on its jaw joint? Wouldn't a hand vertical hold actually putting more of the fishs weight on one side of its jaw joint?

A net does damage to a fish as well. Tail splitting, slime removal, fish tear hooks out of their faces by hook getting caught in the net then rolling. A net is not the best way to land a musky you plan to imeditly release.

Example:

You got a 36" to the boat. You are not going to photo the catch. Is netting the fish and jacking around chasing it in the bag, unhooking the bait from the bag while still pinned on the fish, slime being removed, tail getting split from bag material. Very rarely is netting a fish a perfect text book landing. At least one thing mentioned above happens. All stressing the fish.

Same fish as above you get it to the boat snap a boga on it with out even taking it out of the water you unhook it then open the boga letting it swim away. Effectively not even touching the fish. Does it stress the fish yes but not nearly as much as one thing mentioned for the net.

So is the boga bad in that example?

You really should listen to that podcast. I feel your opinion is based on only hearing one side of the story.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account