2016/07/28 09:14:55
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm looking for any suggestions on buying a one person Kayak .
Mainly for floating local rivers for pleasure . 
Know nothing about them. What's good , safe , easy to use , load ?
Any tips on do's or don'ts or suggestions is welcome.
Don't need the most expensive , but don't want something cheap that's junk. 
2016/07/28 10:13:30
FishinGuy
Don't own one, but have been looking. You want a good seat. Buy one used.
2016/07/28 11:09:25
outasync
Sit on top is a lot easier to get in and out of. Try renting a few times to get a feel of what style you like. My wife prefers the sit in only because she feels less likely to fall out.
2016/07/28 11:50:07
registered
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm looking for any suggestions on buying a one person Kayak .
Mainly for floating local rivers for pleasure . 
Know nothing about them. What's good , safe , easy to use , load ?
Any tips on do's or don'ts or suggestions is welcome.
Don't need the most expensive , but don't want something cheap that's junk. 

You might say it's for pleasure now, BUT, you'll want to fish out of it.
Don't have much experience with yaks, I paddle a canoe from time to time. For years it was my only boat.
I've caught more fish out of my canoe than my other three boats combined.
There are some nice setups for fishing yaks, rod holders, tie downs, comfortable seats, etc.
If you're gonna spend the dime, might as well spend the dollar.
Agree you might want to rent first.
The Youghiogheny River (lower) is a great place to start. There are a few liveries between Perry and West Newton where you can rent a kayak.

2016/07/29 00:45:53
slabfinder
Fish getting alittle too deep for you?
2016/07/29 07:41:15
fishin coyote
Capt.,
You can do what I did and it's what I have told others. Go to Dunham's, Wally World etc. and get a cheap 10 footer to see how you like it. If it turns out that you enjoy it you can always upgrade and keep the cheap one for friends and family to borrow. That's what the wife and I did. We have sit ins. 
The suggestion of renting one is a good idea. There's a group in Greenville's riverside park that rents them. 

Mike
2016/07/29 08:23:40
psu_fish
I've heard good things about the Old Town Vapor Angler
2016/07/29 10:04:38
CAPTAIN HOOK
LOL.....  Actually it's for my daughter, not that I might want to borrow it for a little trip now and then. So far my boat and boots are good enough for this old man !
 She has done exactly that Mike, she's floated the Shenango in Greenville several times. I'm just looking for suggestions or reviews before buying. Thanks for all the input guys ! I'm still listening and reading up. 
No fishing reports from me just gave up with this heat !

2016/07/29 12:23:36
outasync
Tell her to keep an eye on Dunhams. They run kayak sales all the time and she should be able to grab one up for a decent price. Walmart in greenville has decent ones outside in front of the store for around 270.
2016/07/29 13:11:53
solitario lupo
First off get something she can grow into and something you both can use. For you get something that is hooked up already with rod holders. A sit on top is very nice for fishing and even for a little float but not for white waters haha. They make some nice ones these days. So keep your eyes open and look into the reviews that are given to them. Be sure to buy a nice sturdy paddle and get those life vest. Get a life vest that feels comfortable so she can actually wear it.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account