• Northwest PA
  • Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing (p.9)
2015/07/17 23:52:13
CAPTAIN HOOK
I've never looked at a map of all those rivers that connect below Shenango River. I personally have no idea if fish can travel up to Shenango River from lower Rivers . I take it there are some serious obstacles for fish to travel upstream . We talked a little about this earlier in this forum . I did see that a girl in the local O. J. magazine did catch a nice size Striper in the Beaver River. Now I'm not sure , are they stocked in the Beaver River area ? If not where are these Hybrids coming from ?  Anybody care to clarify or have any info feel free to comment.  Just curious about what fishing goes on down stream.  
2015/07/18 09:49:35
BeenThereDoneThat.

Historical WW/CW Species
Beaver River CONF CONNOQUENESSING CREEK:Lat: 40.8540, Long: -80.3217MOUTH--OHIO RIVER: Lat: 40.6970, Long: -80.2891Year Species Lifestage# Stocked 2001 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 9,900  Total =9,900range)Ohio River DASHIELDS LOCK AND DAM AT EDGEWORTH: Lat: 40.5503, Long: -80.2044MONTGOMERY LOCK AND DAM AT OHIOVIEW: Lat: 40.6508, Long: -80.3859 Year Species Life Stage# Stock 2001 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 16,170; 2002 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 11,550; 2003 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2004 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 16,170; 2006 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2007 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2008 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 6,160; 2009 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,147; 2014 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2015 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 17,710  Total =148,587.  Ohio River MONTGOMERY LOCK AND DAM AT OHIOVIEW: Lat: 40.6508, Long: -80.3859PA-OH STATE LINE AT GLASGOW: Lat: 40.6376, Long: -80.5190Year Species Life Stage# Stock 2001 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 2,100; 2007 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 2,100; 2009 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 1, 649; 2015 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 4,100  Total =9,949

Capt. the chart didn't print as I had hoped  but, here are the stockings for the Beaver River for the years 2000 thru 2015 as well as the Ohio River.  Leave it to the PFBC to make it difficult and frustrating trying to pass on their information. Leafs it too  Edjimedicated idjuts and seez wut happinz!

Happy fishing.

BTDT

2015/07/18 17:04:58
CAPTAIN HOOK
Thanks BTDT....looks like lots of Stripers are stocked steady in the Beaver and the Ohio Rivers. Too bad Shenango River also gets zero stocking on these. Still wondering can they get into the lower Shenango ?
2015/07/19 00:12:52
BeenThereDoneThat.
New to the area so I don't know anything about the Shenango River or her tribs.  I really didn't know the area was such a good walleye fishery until I read your post and saw your pictures Captain.  

I think it is a shame the way the PFBC ruins good fishing water and waste so much money with stocking a fish that most people don't care to catch let alone eat. (my guess says; more go in the garbage can then the frying pan)  A fish that is not native to the waters they are thrown into, can't and don't survive, just so the PFBC can charge anglers for a stamp even though the species if caught, would be released.

Not wanting to upset anyone regarding their favorite fish, be it for catching and releasing or, catching it for table fare so, I'll leave it to one's imagination as to which fish I've been hinting at.

Speaking of table fare, I know people eat them and some people say they are good if prepared properly but, I just can't imagine eating carp, suckers or even worse, trout stocked by the PFBC!  Yuk!

Gotta ask, before closing, has everyone supported John Arway's SOS foundation?

Gotta get.  
2015/07/19 18:15:04
crappiefisher
Caught Byrds many moon ago Elwood City.

crappY
2015/07/19 20:39:08
CAPTAIN HOOK
To each his own BTDT. One person loves to eat a certain fish another won't touch it. I personally love to eat Walleye a few times a year ( PCB warnings or not ) I also favor Smoked Trout or Salmon . All pan fish are good eating as well as Perch , just a little time consuming to fillet. I usually release those big Stripers to fight another day, same goes for most Steelhead. Not fond for Catfish but I won't knock somebody for keeping them or other fish I don't keep. Sometimes certain people know how to prepare wild game or fish, and make them super tasty ! I had a friend at work bring in Goose breast meat for us to try after we busted his **** about eating Wild Goose all the time. He put it out at lunch time for all of us to try and I swear I was eating some kind of steak ! It was super tasty, whatever he marinated it with and adding his seasoning made it unreal. One guy even said there's no way that is Goose it's got to be some kind of doctored Deer or Cow meat . I've ate Goose before and most times I never ask for seconds this recipe was knock out delicious ! A friend of mine years ago said don't knock pickled Carp until you try it. Never had the chance but I'd try it once anyway .
2015/07/19 20:48:07
troutguy
richardw
Just to clarify, it is impossible for any fish to swim from the Ohio river to the Shenango dam unless they grew wings.

Well, I guess it's possible with the very high water we had this month, but yes very, very unlikely. I'm not exactly sure how high all of the dams are in the Shenango/Beaver watershed.....I've only seen some of them in person. That river does get high though. And regarding hybrid striped bass......they're not a species that jumps over dams. Heck I've never even had any on the end of my line jump! All the fish below the lake in Sharpsville spill out of the lake

BeenThereDoneThat.
I think it is a shame the way the PFBC ruins good fishing water and waste so much money with stocking a fish that most people don't care to catch let alone eat. (my guess says; more go in the garbage can then the frying pan)  A fish that is not native to the waters they are thrown into, can't and don't survive, just so the PFBC can charge anglers for a stamp even though the species if caught, would be released.

Speaking of table fare, I know people eat them and some people say they are good if prepared properly but, I just can't imagine eating carp, suckers or even worse, trout stocked by the PFBC!  Yuk!

The PFBC is hurting for money. I wonder why! Anyone with half a brain could point the PFBC in the right direction towards saving money.....but they won't listen. Remember.......rubber rainbows are the best eating fish in the world!! Just ask all the dudes on opening day who drag their stingers full of em along the criks. Powerbait probably tastes better. For real......some of that stuff actually looks yummy

Stock streams that can possibly sustain a year-round or almost year-round(Say September through June) trout fishery, but don't have many wild fish for whatever reason(poor spawning habitat, warm mid-late summer temps, etc). DON'T stock places that already have hard fighting and fun-to-fish-for wild trout, and places where the trout die off or easily get roped up by the end of May. Less rubber troot in the hatcheries = more room for hybrid stripers and 'eyes, etc..
2015/07/19 20:55:18
troutguy
CAPTAIN HOOK
To each his own BTDT. One person loves to eat a certain fish another won't touch it. I personally love to eat Walleye a few times a year ( PCB warnings or not ) I also favor Smoked Trout or Salmon . All pan fish are good eating as well as Perch , just a little time consuming to fillet. I usually release those big Stripers to fight another day, same goes for most Steelhead. Not fond for Catfish but I won't knock somebody for keeping them or other fish I don't keep. Sometimes certain people know how to prepare wild game or fish, and make them super tasty ! I had a friend at work bring in Goose breast meat for us to try after we busted his **** about eating Wild Goose all the time. He put it out at lunch time for all of us to try and I swear I was eating some kind of steak ! It was super tasty, whatever he marinated it with and adding his seasoning made it unreal. One guy even said there's no way that is Goose it's got to be some kind of doctored Deer or Cow meat . I've ate Goose before and most times I never ask for seconds this recipe was knock out delicious ! A friend of mine years ago said don't knock pickled Carp until you try it. Never had the chance but I'd try it once anyway .

Yup, don't underestimate some species. I've had a few people tell me that drum and bowfin can be good if done right. Both are very fun to catch and fish for.....but I've never tried eating them and don't plan on it either. Same goes for suckers. I've heard they're really good too.

But I guess anything can be good if you season them up enough lol

2015/07/26 12:48:36
CAPTAIN HOOK
So much for the Fish Commission worrying about PCB's in the Shenango River !  I guess 17,000 gallons of crude oil seeping in is trumped that problem. Those Trout are going to be slippery to hold onto now as well as wading those rocks ! Time to get the Dawn detergent ready ! Don't worry no Walleye were found dead ......... none left !!!
Maybe this is next..................

2015/07/26 21:11:03
BeenThereDoneThat.
I hear what your sayin' Capt. I must agree, some folks just have a special knack for preparing fish and game.

As for me, I like the natural taste of food. Just don't care for foods prepared with a lot of seasonings including garlic.(blah) Can't see why people have to hide the natural flavor before they eat something.

I have eaten wild trout, farm pond trout and, locally stocked trout. Somebody can have my share of the pond and stocked trout and, all the garlic that it takes to change the flavor too!

Enjoy smoked fish but, certainly will pass on the stocked trout. No amount of seasonings or smoke can hide the taste. And it don't taste like chicken either. Even if they are fed chicken pellets.

Same with the catfish and I'll take the wild fish anyday over pond reared catfish and there's no need for garlic!

Pickled carp, if you were blindfolded and didn't know what you were eating, I'd be surprised if you didn't guess stocked trout. Vinegar like garlick just can't hide that mud flavor.

Now in defense of getting ranted upon by garlick lovers, let me just say,(sounds familiar) there's nothing like garlic coated with olive oil, roasted in the oven or on a grill, peeled and popped into the mouth.

Mix em in smashed taters too! (shhh, I didn't say that.)

Not a fan of striper, a bit strong tasting but, I'd like to try the fish on a grill just to see. Hold the garlic please.......

As for the PCBs in walleye, I think odds are you getting run over by a kayak or a sailboat while fishing the spillway, before suffering from consuming too much fish!

Maybe see ya on the crik someday.

Wishing you good fishing...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account