• Northwest PA
  • Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing (p.12)
2017/02/10 13:48:22
looch325
troutguy
mike55
You need to understand how high the river is when there are all 7 gates open to 2.5ft a piece. All the dams the entire way down are going to be covered.

I know how high the river gets, but there's NO WAY the dams in Beaver Falls get completely covered. Have you even seen them in person? The river would be dangerously flooded, and the water from the Ohio River would need to be backed up a ton to get the New Brighton dam underwater.

yeah it just isn't possible, I've seen the dams covered twice in my life, the Flood of 1996 and one other time. I've lived in Beaver County pretty much my entire life and look at the 10th Street Dam everyday. And the couple times they were flooded I find it extremely hard to believe many, if any fish could swim up river with the amount of force and debris coming down river when it gets to that point. Both times it happened the steps down to the turbines in New Brighton had to be rebuilt, now they have metal ones. I've fished all 3 dams all my life and seen a few big fish come over the dam, going the other way is impossible except at the Eastvale dam where there is a side stream that goes around under the tracks and in spring carp are in there like at pymatuming, I assume spawning, you can see them from just off the walking trail. When I was a boy we used the Eastvale dam on the Beaver Falls side as a water slide, climb up the brick wall, walk up the tracks, jump in above the dam and do it again, we were dumb kids.

Anyway, the reason I joined was to ask a question, the fish and game website says they have been stocking 1000 tiger muskies(at least, some years 2000) in the Beaver River for the last 16 years, they put 10 in Lawrence County and 990 in Beaver County, where do they put these fish in at? Never seen one caught, only regular musky below the Townsend Dam(NB) which is connected to the Ohio. When I was young I caught a couple northern pike below Eastvale Dam but that's been 30+ years.

Eastvale: best fishing is bass, carp, and cats
10th Street dam: great Smallmouth fishing if you get out on rocks(kind of dangerous), carps, cats.
Townsend(NB/Fallston): Sauger, walleye, occasional hybrid striper, occasional musky, big flathead, carp, cats, etc. Even seen longnose gar off the Fallston wall.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account