2017/03/14 13:43:21
opsman
Wow is that ever a lethal title for a thread on a fishing forum!!
I'm looking for opinions on mooring a boat at Pymatuning for the season.  I have the opportunity to get a slip at the new Linesville Marina.  I would like others' thoughts and concerns.
Has anyone every kept their boat in the water for an entire season?  Drawbacks?  
I know I will pretty much have to drag everything in and out of the boat every time.  My biggest question is how do you keep it covered while it is moored in the slip.  
I drive about 70 miles or so to the marina, so it would help not towing it every time.  Fishing by myself might be a little easier considering there would be no issue with trailering the boat   I could pop in and out anytime without worrying about crowds or lines.  
OK, let me here it!!

2017/03/14 13:57:28
D-nymph
opsman
 My biggest question is how do you keep it covered while it is moored in the slip.  

With a boat cover.
2017/03/14 14:16:23
opsman
Ok  Now that we have the jackazz award out of the way, let me clarify.  Is there an easy way or better method to keep a boat covered or is a snap cover the best option.
Thank you D for your invaluable input.
2017/03/14 14:22:16
BeenThereDoneThat.
Find a reputable dealer that handles boat covers and talk to them about "mooring covers". Not to be confused with towing or trailering covers which are available as a combination and can be used for both.

Mooring covers generally uses snaps and towing may be tied.

Seriously Opsman, talk to a professional first. Mooring with the wrong cover will be PITA.

If ya don't mind me asking, what is the rate for mooring?
2017/03/14 14:27:48
BeenThereDoneThat.
Ops I would also recommend using adjustable post type of supports. The bow style ribs suck and webbing support is a royal PITA trying to cover a boat in the water.

Don't forget a working bilge pump also.
2017/03/14 14:28:44
opsman
BTDT  I have a snap cover that was custom made when i bought the boat new.  Also have three poles that go thru grommeted holes  Same for the bow cleat and side cleats.  Just wondered if anyone has ever covered a boat while in the water.  I figured i could snap one whole side, get out of the boat and snap the remaining side.  Lol, in theory it sounds easy, but just wondered about the reality part!!
Since my boat is under 17' its $665, but that's only because I'm not a resident of Pa.  Seems like a lot, but when you divide that by seven months its only about $90 a month, $20 a week! lol.  The spot available is only about ten slips from shore and its right next to the boat house, so its not like it's an outward slip

2017/03/14 14:31:02
Porktown
You'll need a button down or velcro style mooring cover.  That Conneaut boat cover, Amish family seems to be a huge favorite on the site.  Custom fit, so you aren't getting water in your boat.

Make sure your hull is water tight.  I don't trust mine, aluminum rivet construction.  It usually doesn't have any water in it, when I moor it for 4-5 days, but not sure if that would be the same for all of the time.  You can get an automatic bilge pump with a float, and run a solar panel to trickle charge your battery.  If not, then you'll likely want to pull your batteries after every use, and probably your depth finder and anything else that is easily removed and worth anything.  People are idiots, so you need to account for that.

I personally just keep my boat close to the lake in storage.  So, I end up doing about the same pulling of certain things that go home with me in my truck and need to remember on every trip as if I moored.  It's a lot cheaper than mooring, but takes 15 minutes before and after every trip.  Mooring is still going to take 5 minutes or so.  It saves wear and tear on my vehicle, and space on my driveway/garage, which is why I really do it.  I don't have a custom fit cover or auto bilge.  So if mooring for a few days, and it rains hard, it's in there until I bilge it out.

It would be nice to just get there and go.  If it makes sense, then it would be great.  I can't justify the additional cost, of getting a boat that I would trust and mooring cost.
2017/03/14 14:37:05
BeenThereDoneThat.
Ops in my book you got the "cats meow" in mooring covers. Very easy to start on one side and with just a few snaps place each support into place as you go.

Trick is to fold the cover as you uncover so you can lay out the the cover as you recover the boat.

I find it easier to start with the front working my way toward the back.
2017/03/14 14:39:45
opsman
That's what I thought.  Was trying to upload a pic of my boat with the cover on it but apparently the file is too big?!?

2017/03/14 14:41:59
BeenThereDoneThat.
Practice from inside while your boat is on the trailer.

Just don't forget you are not in the water and step out onto the dock. lol.... Ummm sorry.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account