2016/10/25 10:38:09
smally hunter
Reading the pymie pages about weed
growth and how they are still grown ECT .. would that in turn mean a better chance for livelier weeds when ice finally hits our lakes ? I inquire because the first year I ice fished heavily 2010-11 on conneaut lake near the fish commission launch on the north end there was lush green vegatation .. where as the other two years I fished there 2013-14 and 14-15 the weeds were very dead.. I could research these things but slot
of you guys that frequent this section of the site seem to be quite knowledgeable as to these things .. meanwhile at 24 I feel as though I'm just beginning to learn
2016/10/25 16:30:32
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
To go along with the comment old dog made about the snow cover, maybe the ice thickness has some effect as well. If I remember right, the 2 years you're saying they were brown we had harsh winters with alot of ice. Not sure, just a thought. Regardless, I hope we have a winter with lots of ice. Last year was a bummer for the most part.
2016/10/25 20:12:26
smally hunter
All makes sense .. I'm just chomping at the bit without a boat ice provides me with some of the best chances to get em .. I got some steep goals for Conny if the ice comes and the weeds sure do assist in that
2016/10/25 21:33:46
treesparrow
smally hunter, What a great question. I can go along with old dog & crappy Slayer with their theory as the weather those years was quite different. This is a real think question. And weeds that are green would if still functioning give off oxygen which would play into fish patterns. What a good subject.
  We need a savvy fresh water Limnologist.
2016/10/25 22:00:06
BeenThereDoneThat.
Well here's a subject that catches my interest and anyone who has read my rants and ravings regarding  weeds in our area lakes, know how I feel about the Psu Fish and Boat Commission and their "stupid" weed program.

As for everybody else, hell they know I can't keep my nose out of a good subject so, without further ado, here is my contribution.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/panfish-in-the-weeds-under-the-ice/

Good thread smally hunter! 

2016/10/26 07:51:00
treesparrow
BTDT, Good article. I ice fish and find most gills and crappys associated with weeds or structure.
2016/10/26 08:19:40
fishin coyote
Smally,
The reasons the weeds were dead in your example had nothing to do with the ice/lake etc. It was because they sprayed them in late summer in that area.
Mike
2016/10/26 10:19:30
GilliganJR
the title of this thread is also misleading.  
2016/10/26 11:33:30
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
fishin coyote
Smally,The reasons the weeds were dead in your example had nothing to do with the ice/lake etc. It was because they sprayed them in late summer in that area.Mike

Good call. Forgot they spray them there. Wouldn't this make them brown every winter though, or was it just the timing of it those years?
2016/10/27 07:53:03
The Ref
Exactly what Coyote said. The weeds at Conneaut have been brown for most of the last two seasons because of chemical treatment. Supposedly they're going to treat pymatunning because of a weed they want to get rid of. Heard that from a park guy at Snodgrass one day doing a survey.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account