• Northwest PA
  • Pymatuning article on Walleye population (p.9)
2017/06/04 16:36:21
BeenThereDoneThat.

Some interesting facts regarding the numbers of Walleye stocked in Pymie.

2005      WalleyeFry                   13,000,000

2006      WalleyeAdvanced Fry     244,382

2006      WalleyeFry                    21,000,000

WalleyeFingerling           293,000

2016      WalleyeFry                    4,000,000

2017      WalleyeFry                    1,500,000

Pymie santuary

2014      WalleyeFry                      7,418,001

2017       WalleyeFry                      1,875,000

Sorry 'bout all the edits.............

2017/06/04 17:53:16
Big Tuna
Crappie are soft flesh fish even though the ice. I once thought they were wonderful eating but now there down on my list. Perch,eyes gills then crappie. The local guys this spring in the bay,said there like eating fried cottage cheese. lol 
2017/06/04 19:58:26
ShenangoEyes
I'm with big tuna on my preference of eating fish. Crappie generally are too mushy for me. Why isn't the state look at sauger and saugeyes more? As far as eating ,they are right in between perch and eyes, plus they tend to be more aggressive. The Shenango River system sounds like it'd be a perfect fit as far as water clarity goes.
2017/06/04 21:14:35
BeenThereDoneThat.
Welllllll I'll just have yinz know I happen to enjoy Crappie priiiimarily because, it's the only stupid fish I can catch. Ummm, "IF" I do catch fish. 😖
2017/06/05 09:17:20
CAPTAIN HOOK
SWR your the first witness I've heard ever that seen that ! Finally ! I've heard the story years ago that they use to take netted Carp and sell them to companies that made cat and dog food or fertilizer companies ,but always rumors no witnesses . I can't prove any of that or if they even still do it or did it . It's always been a hush /hush topic for many years especially by the Fish Commish....why I don't know? Last time I asked a local fish warden years ago about it he said they never did that ! Go figure !

Local best eating fish in my book.......all good!
Perch #1
Young smaller Walleye # 2
Crappie , Blue gill , Rock Bass all tied at #3
2017/06/05 15:59:46
opsman
I know this is probably a stretch for some, but a few times I've grilled northern pike on indirect charcoal heat.  Foil, sea salt, garlic butter, black pepper and a little paprika (or cayenne if you want a jolt)  I did it with the skin on, and when the meat pulled from the skin it was done.  Maybe fifteen minutes or so on some good hot coals.  
Biggest challenge is getting all of the bones out, but I did do one that I kept wrapped in foil (not just resting on it) and when it was done it was finger food.  Just pull the meat right from the bone!
2017/06/05 17:45:31
BeenThereDoneThat.
Grilled Pike goooood.......

Garlic baaaaad.........

Opsman I'm with ya on the grilled Pike and deep fried is just as yummy. I watched a dude demonstrate how to fillet the toothy critter and I think I could even do it. Now I need only "catch" one big enough, to make it worth while.

Speaking of toothy critters, one fish I've never dined with is the Musky.
2017/06/05 18:19:41
BeenThereDoneThat.
OldDog I find catfish to be light, flaky, with a mild flavor.

I know they say ya can't teach a 'old dog' new tricks but I'm willing to bet, even an old bullhead like you would too. 😋
2017/06/05 20:14:42
Big Tuna
BTDT,if you eat garlic you will catch some eyes,they like garlic flavored crawlers on a floating jig head.
2017/06/05 20:35:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
Big Tuna 10-4 on the garlic but coated with Olive Oil then roasted in the oven or grill. Popped outta the skin straight into da mouth or mixed in and smashed with taters. Few cloves chunked in with homefries a good thing too. Them Wallys wants garlic worms they can go pick thier own.

Right now I'm thinkin if those danged Pens don't bring this one home, I may buy a ticket and throw garlic on the ice instead of a stupid catfish.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account