• Northwest PA
  • Pymatuning article on Walleye population (p.8)
2017/06/04 08:49:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
CAPTAIN HOOK
.......... Wonder why they are testing water flows on Pymy ?   

Herbicide applications?

Pesticide application to prevent Zeke Virus?

Locate currents and flowing water needed for Walleye to naturally spawn?
2017/06/04 10:00:29
CAPTAIN HOOK
Kenegetemn
I guess crappies are more important than walleyes are on Pymatuning lake. Voting to drop the limit to twenty but refusing to have a closed season on the walleyes makes very little sense, if you're a walleye fisherman. Reducing the limit won't do much to help as guys will double and even triple dip daily. Adding a stamp fee will only line pockets with raises as we all know they will. Just shut it down for six weeks in the spring like every other PA lake for a few years and see what happens for the fishing. If they can protect the panfish, why not protect the gamefish?

I totally agree ! It's a joke what goes on every year at the spillway and other lake areas. They totally ambush spawning Walleye at the biggest inflow of water on the entire lake. Those fish are stacked in that area with no rivers to migrate during spawning. Yet the Fish Commission shuts down the entire state for spawning Walleye but not here...Why ?  ........but allows this fiasco to go on !

I want somebody from the Pa. Fish Commish to tell me why this has been and still is allowed. Can't Pa. or Ohio fishermen catch Walleye during the year or just only when they are spawning in concentrated numbers ? Anybody ever hear of catch and release for a few months ?  

Go ahead and spray that weed killer and tell me it doesn't kill some fish. Seems odd that last year they sprayed more weed killer and this year is proving to be the worst Walleye fishing season in many years ! "The Worst"......."oh yea it's all the extra bait fish in the lake this year" that's the problem....those future Walleye ought to be about a 10lb average with all the bait fish they are eating this year! Can't wait till next year !

I agree Big T just way to many Carp in this lake (infested).

2017/06/04 10:23:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
Kenegetemn
I guess crappies are more important than walleye..........

Yes Sir, given that a novice angler (me) can plop a bait, under a bobber, into the water and catch numerous fish like Crappie (except me(stupid fish)).

While Walleye are occasionally caught by chance, (I do get lucky(catching a fish)) they do require a bit more knowledge, time and, skill.

I remember catching Crappie many (many many) years ago and they were considered a nuisance fish. While I never targeted the fish, what was caught, never seemed to be larger than 6" at best.

Then in the mid 70s I was introduced to my first Crappie fillet cooked with a slice of onion, wrapped in foil and placed on a grill.

Fast forward 2017 and I still enjoy Crappie fillet be they cooked with onion in tin foil, deep fried with beer batter or fixed "poor man lobster" style.

Now I only need know when he's planning a fish fry with those buckets of fish, so I can weasle my way into dinner at Marcos.

Honestly, the PBFC in my opinion, would do far better stocking Crappie instead of those stupid trout.

Crappie can survive and reproduce in our area streams, rivers and compounds unlike trout that, requires special conditions and, die within weeks of stocking.

Give the trout anglers thier due, they pay for the privilege but impose limits, charge for a Crappie stamp and stock em where the average guy can catch em, with his family, and enjoy a "tasty fish" fry. If they (PBFC) build it; the anglers (me) will come.

Anyways, it's usually the "catching" of fish that normally draws the "masses" who will vacation and spend money.
2017/06/04 10:28:36
CAPTAIN HOOK
I'm sure there are a number of reasons we can point fingers at or blame, but I feel there should always be a time out for spawning fish. It's nature's way of carrying on the species! Maybe hatchery raised fish are helpful but natural has to be better overall. A small closed window on spawning fish would be always worth it. Take a picture and let it swim, at least for a few weeks! 

I never could understand the Steelhead season policies either. They raise and stock smolts for future fishing, but allow fishermen to continue fishing during their release ! What is wrong with giving all these fish a small closed window of time to spawn or develop ? Really ?   
2017/06/04 10:44:31
BeenThereDoneThat.
Whether Walleye actually reproduce successfully in Pymatuning is irrevelant. What matters is Walleye still respond to spawning and just like with every other fish they become the most volunerable during pre-spawn and difficult at post spawn.

As for the PBFC, I have voiced my opinion on this subject in the past. As the saying goes; "to many chefs (biologist) ruin the broth".
2017/06/04 10:47:24
treesparrow
To my knowledge, in years past the Fish Com trap netted carp out of pymy every year.
2017/06/04 11:01:42
CAPTAIN HOOK
No one has ever witnessed that (Carp netting ) I'm told ....only hear say or rumor . 
2017/06/04 12:21:24
BeenThereDoneThat.
Old Dog maybe not need to close the season cause I don't think early fishing pressure is necessarily a major problem but I do think designated nursery waters would prove beneficial.

Not only for Walleye.

Definitely a need for more enforcement and just not for weeds on my boat and trailer or aquatic hitchhikers in my live wells. Although, I now have two free bobbers because of inspections by the weed police.

As for Bass fishing, I can take it or leave it. Pending water temps, I will coat with a beer batter or coat in egg and crushed Wheaties and deep fry Bass.
2017/06/04 15:26:26
SaltWaterRocks
Captain, I have personally witnessed the carp netting.  Back in the day, there used to be a net suspended by ropes which laid on the bottom under the road bridge at the spillway.  They would lift the net frame and then use a jon boat to net the carp out of it and put them in brailers they would lift to an aerated truck(which actually was parked in the road above.)  I have no idea where they took them, but i saw it several times.  I'm soon to be 51 and i was probably between 8-14 when I watched them do it.  
2017/06/04 16:08:01
BeenThereDoneThat.
OldDog I don't care for Crappie caught from waters above 70 degrees and even if the temps are in the 60s I refrigerate the little critters ("IF" I catch some) before I fillet em.  Water temp above 70, my fish (including the once-in-a-while Walleye) get dunked immediately into a ice water bath rather than see the live well.  There certainly is a difference in texture and flavor with any fish once the water warms.

A favorite breakfast among the old Allegheny River Gang, when overnight camping on shore was Smallie or Walleye; sliced taters with onions and; a big helping of fried eggs. 

Dam those were the days, catching breakfast while wading through the frogspit as it meandered along the water's edge just before sunup, or in my case, hoping to catch.......  stupid fish!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account