• Northwest PA
  • Pymatuning article on Walleye population (p.3)
2008/04/17 16:31:26
*commander*
ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Thanks for the ZP lesson Musky. 

However, I am still confused.  The majority of walleyes in the lake were artificially introduced (stocked) in the lake and therefore the PFBC and to what degree Ohio is responsible for stockings control the date of entry into the watershed.  If they are so interested in increasing the walleye population, couldn't they just hold the fry/fingerlings longer for the eyes to predate a different type of ZP???

i thought the same thing. dont know when the ZP season is in full force but sure SEEMS like timing could be matched.
2008/04/17 19:31:46
Kokanee Killer
rapala 111 you are correct about the alewife problen the feed primarily on plankton. back home in ct we had 6 lakes that had awesome kokanee salmon fishing throughout the 70s and 80s then some bucket biologist introduced alewives into 5 of the 6 lakes well guess what happend in 3 years the salmon population CRASHED!!!!!! alewives sure they are great forage but, if a species feeds primarily on plankton throughout there life like kokanee,or like walleye at the fry stage only disastarous results will occur,on the bright side though the ct state record brown was broken 5 times in 4 years.
2008/04/17 20:19:12
rapala11
kk, same thing happened to a lake in new york.  a retired fishery biologist stated such on walleye central.  said they could destroy a fish population.  about 20 miles southwest of  pymatuning is mosquito lake in ohio.  same basin type lake, same low production, high stocking of walleye, same seasons.  i wonder why the stocking there are so successful year in and year out?  btw, i don't believe there are alewifes in the lake.

2008/04/17 20:40:29
Kokanee Killer
yeah 11 without alewives in the lake the walleye would possibly eat a lions share of the plankton needed for that particular growth cycle,then on to a fish diet but that fry -plankton ratio for walleye i believe is very criucial.
2008/04/17 21:02:19
*commander*
imo an alewife problem is far more believeable than a ZP problem. could be wrong but i doubt you will ever see the PFBC go public with an alewife problem. however, i believe it was rapala11 who posted on another thread that a biologist stated that alewives WERE stocked into pymy. with that being said, it would be hard for them to say they didnt or say that somebody else did.

does anybody ever throw a cast net for bait and catch any alewives or ever night fish and hear them?
2008/04/18 01:28:05
MuskyMastr
Problem with holding fry is money, they get expensive to feed in a hurry.  Here is some cool stuff.......

"
What are the stages of the walleye?
Lead a discussion of the life stages of the walleye. 1. Egg.
a. Walleye eggs are 1.8 to 2.5 diameter, and readily stick to each other and to any object when
they are freshly spawned.
b. A large female can produce over 50,000 eggs each season.
c. The time it takes the eggs to hatch is temperature dependent. They may takeover three weeks at
7°C as little a 10 days at 15°C.
2. Larvae.
a. The larvae of waleye are 5.5-7.5 mm long when they hatch. They begin feeding between the 5th
and 10th day post-hatch and will starve by 14 days post-hatch if food is not available, unless the
temperature is below 50°F
b. The larvae eat copepods and cladocerans, types of zooplankton (and brine shrimp and some
formulated feeds when cultured intensively in the nursery) during the first few weeks following
stocking. They also have a tendency to eat each other when less than 20 days old.
c. Larval walleye are phototactic meaning they swim towards light. This may facilitate inflation of the
gas bladder as Iarvae must gulp air from the surface to inflate their gas bladder during their first
week post-hatch.
3. Juvenile (fingering).
a. The juvenile stage is defined as the stage of life after the fish resembles the adult but prior to
sexual maturity.
b. For walleye fingerlings to be stocked at high densities and cultured to food size, they must be
trained to eat artificial feed. Research is being done on this very important aspect of walleye
culture. The success of this research has been increasing rapidly.

In an interesting side note, my dad got to stock muskies with pfbc on pymy last year.  He said that if the let the fry out in open water the seagulls hammered  at leas 75% of them almost instantly because they stayed on the surface for a long time after being released.  The only thing they could do was put them in the lilly pads, which most of the other stocking boats were not doing.
2008/04/18 06:55:41
bluntman
Theres still a few fish in the lake,  fished from 8-11 last night and landed 8 walleye from 18 -23 inches, casting rapalas on one of our favorite rock bars, not as many as in previous years, but still a few to be had
2008/04/18 08:13:17
woodnickle
Good job and good to hear.
2008/04/18 09:07:12
Flying Fish
How about stocking them at night?
2008/04/18 22:03:25
Big Tuna
4 million fry will be stocked this year and 600,000 fingerlings was the target,they no how many fry, they must grow the fry to fingerling size so lets hope they reach their goal. I fished the spillway a few times this year and saw three eyes that where not legal,most fish where 18 or 19 inch min. and several where real pigs,pymy is a big lake and all the eyes don't migrate to the spillway,I waded a island last week and got eyes on raps and cleo's after dark,the numbers are way down but the fish are big,just not as many,get rid of the alewifes,and carp and stock,stock,and stock some more (all fingerlings)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account