• Northwest PA
  • Pymatuning article on Walleye population (p.2)
2008/04/16 20:32:10
*commander*
after ALL these YEARS it's JUST NOW decided it's lack of zooplankton???!!! man i have a hard time believing this one. the fishery biologist/scientists couldnt figure this out before??? if this is the best theyve got after all these stocked fish and all this time, they may want to think about being put out to pasture/replaced/reschooled/something. now its ZOOPLANKTON???!!!

2008/04/16 21:24:22
ready2fish
Wonder why the crappie, largemouth, and smallmouth populations are doing good and walleye are not?

I've said this before, Pymie has turned into a better bass lake than walleye lake. I don't target walleyes much anymore but in my teenage years I fished it with a friend and his dad, it was not uncommon to catch 50-75 walleyes in a day but very few were legal.

The bass population is awesome, don't bass fry rely on the same forage as walleye fry?
2008/04/16 22:12:59
STEALYS4ME
This report dont sound right seeing  all those huge eyes being pulled out of the spillway a few weeks ago???????
2008/04/16 23:17:33
woodnickle
Used to catch them at the dam this time of year.  0. Catch all the fish at the spillway then what?
2008/04/16 23:37:53
MuskyMastr
Actually Storm it is the timing of the Zooplankton.  There are thousands of types of zooplankton in that lake but the timing of one certain species ( I would have to look it up to remember it) corresponds with the hatch of the natural fry for walleye.  Remember that thier spawn is much earlier than those other species that we are talking about.  So the walleye fry hit the lake and there is a gap in the zooplankton at that time of year that did not used to exist.  By the time the other fry hit the water other species of ZP have established.  ZP lifecycles are fairly brief so the different species carry the lake at different times of the year.
2008/04/16 23:59:19
rapala11
i'm with you matt.  if anything, the explosion of alewifes are probably feeding also on the zoo and phytoplankton.
2008/04/16 23:59:53
rapala11
gary ault isn't running the walleye stocking, is he?  
2008/04/17 09:33:28
STEALYS4ME
lol.
2008/04/17 09:36:25
rapala11
not as many, but we promise you bigger.
2008/04/17 10:59:24
Storm Warning 2
Thanks for the ZP lesson Musky. 

However, I am still confused.  The majority of walleyes in the lake were artificially introduced (stocked) in the lake and therefore the PFBC and to what degree Ohio is responsible for stockings control the date of entry into the watershed.  If they are so interested in increasing the walleye population, couldn't they just hold the fry/fingerlings longer for the eyes to predate a different type of ZP???

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account