2017/08/14 21:11:19
Took my boys fishing for carp at the spillway today.

Left a rod there. Prob worth about $15. Just an old Rhino rod from Walmart and a Mitchell 300 reel a couple years old with a burned out drag and cheap braid. The reel is one of the newer ones that's nowhere the quality of what they used to be.

Anyway it's nice to have for cats and carp and would be good to get it back if anybody on here was the one that happened to find it.
2017/08/15 00:15:43
BeenThereDoneThat.
Still sucks even if it wasn't a favorite rod.

If not already done, might check with the park office. Phone call can't hurt.
2017/08/15 14:59:11
looch325
sorry bout the rod&reel

So the new Mitchell's arent anywhere near as good? I wondered about them. I have some old Mitchell reels that are more for my collecting than using, I buy vintage gear on ebay. Got a brand new Mitchell from 1957, a lou eppinger daredevle from 1924 with the box, old rapalas, storm big macs,  stuff like that.

The old Mitchell reels are some of the best reels ever made, imho.
2017/08/15 16:02:01
I'd always heard about the old Mitchells looch and decided to get a couple of em two or three years ago.

Out of the box they were OK. Never felt like I was using a great reel like I'd read about the old ones so much. Got em wet a few times Steelhead fishing and gave em a good cleaning but they got progressively less smooth. A little balky even.

Used em in salt water for a few days and cleaned em good after every use. Both of em had their drags burned out by good size redfish and were pretty much relegated to channel cat and carp reels with heavy braid on cheap rods after they saw the salt.

Like I said, not a big financial loss but with two sons who love to fish, sometimes it's nice having a lot of rods even if they aren't that great.
2017/08/15 16:22:47
BeenThereDoneThat.
Back in the day, (60ish) compared to other affordable spinning reels the Mitchell 300 was the "cats meow". Much bulkier by today's standards and not nearly as smooth but "oh", when you turned that handle and the sound of the bail snapping close.... ahhh those were the days. It was like a "E.F. Hutton comercial; "when a Mitchell 300 bail closes", people listen.
2017/08/16 07:44:35
pghh_flytier
The old 300s were great reels in the day (60s).Their best feature was they were made in USA. That said, I wouldn't trade my new phleuger (made in China), to go back to the Mitchel.  
2017/08/16 10:57:44
chauncy
pghh_flytier
The old 300s were great reels in the day (60s).Their best feature was they were made in USA. That said, I wouldn't trade my new phleuger (made in China), to go back to the Mitchel.  
Hahahahahahaha. All I can do about this. NEXT?
2017/08/16 13:45:43
BeenThereDoneThat.
pghh_flytier

PSSSSSST, FlyTier.... Not!! No.... Um shhhh.... ➡F-r-a-n-c-e⬅

Oooops!!😱
2017/08/16 19:35:08
treesparrow
My losses. Fiberglass rod & mitchel 300- Georgean Bay Drunk brother fell overboard, small pocket box spinners and spoons Little Brookie stream my carelessness, Top rod section Wilhelm After dark departure, Knife Buck Summerset stuck in log cleaning Rabbits- to far away to be worth going back, tears in eyes cant continue.
  My condolences.
2017/08/16 20:03:52
pghh_flytier
OPPs on the Mitchell being made in the USA. Wishful thinking maybe. At the time they seemed liked the geatest reels around, until the Japanese Reels came out. At least no one noticed the Pflueger misspelling.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account