2017/06/27 15:36:01
CAPTAIN HOOK
I see on the front page of the Herald Chestnut Run Swim Beach is closed down due to water quality does not meet safe health standards ! No swimming or wading .......so far no statements out . I know that algae was an issue last year, but I thought that was due to no rain or fresh water moving into the lake wonder what's up now ?  How are the fish tasting ?  Not good news with all the rain we've had .
2017/06/27 15:52:23
chauncy
Can't help at all Brock. I haven't fished there but maybe once all month. With all this rain, it could be a sewage over flow problem. Hopefully not tho.
2017/06/27 16:21:47
CAPTAIN HOOK
Not sure what's going on at the lake. It has been greenish murky almost everytime I fished it, but last week the shorelines weren't too bad and it looked somewhat clearer. I know they have job johnnies set up around the Chestnut Run building for use. Hope they release some news soon they put the signs up and gates are closed so someone has the info.

Once again slow government information to the public.
2017/06/27 16:37:23
CAPTAIN HOOK
Another topic on Shenango..............Younger guy told me he got fined for not having an approved license to drive a boat with a motor over 50 hp. Said you have to take a test online and get a paper. This guy was about 30 years old and driving a 125 HP outboard.
He said the fine was $ 200.00 bucks !!!! Said anyone under 45 years old must have this paper while driving a bigger HP boat.  First I have ever heard of this law !

Anymore info to this ?
2017/06/27 17:24:35
BeenThereDoneThat.
You need a boating education certificate if you were born on or after Jan. 1, 1982, and will be operating a boat over 25 hp in PA.

Residents of other states who were born on or after Jan. 1, 1982, and operate on Pennsylvania waters for 60 days or less are exempt if they hold a boating safety certificate issued by their home state.

Beach has reopened;
Not unusual for the beach to be closed when heavy rains cause high turbidity and water depths above normal summer pool. In this case it is thought the reason for a slightly elevated ecoli count.

Clark boat launch gets closed as well from flooding.
2017/06/27 17:34:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
In Other Shenango news....... https://m.facebook.com/st...930826&__tn__=%2As
2017/06/28 14:41:31
CAPTAIN HOOK
Thanks for the all info John, that clears up the boating issue .

Hard for me to keep up with all the changes in fishing & hunting regulations anymore. Things never changed much for many years when growing up, now you need a lawyer to explain all the new changing laws every year ! 

Pretty soon the license regulation books with be thick as a bible with rules and advertising !

2017/06/28 16:01:34
BeenThereDoneThat.
Brock you are certainly welcome.

Use to be ya needed a Pittsburgh lawyer to figure out the laws, but now days ya need, the whole dam law firm.

Shame the operator of the boat has to pay a fine. Zero tolerance sucks.
2017/06/28 22:12:25
chauncy
That kid must have been acting a fool to get pulled over. As many young boat operators as there are on that lake, he had to do something to stand out. Probably smart mouthed them too. Maybe he tried to swamp a kayaker or something. Like I said, something made him stand out from the crowd. I could be wrong tho.
2017/06/29 10:28:27
crawlerman2
I had a 86 Galaxy that was free, really rough shape.  I used to get pulled every other trip on that boat.  Once got pulled 3 times in one day.  This was on Lake Murray in SC.  When I got my nicer looking wellcraft they never bothered me.  It's not always your actions that get you pulled over and checked. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account