2017/10/02 09:28:15
BeenThereDoneThat.
Ha haa thanks for the report Roy and as far as borrowing goes, YOU may feel free to use anything from "stupid to doorknobs". Hell, I'd even let you borrow the Fish Hawk.
2017/10/03 13:44:38
roygpa
Another question to add to my list (may have already been asked):

6. How long with it take for the virus to move down stream and kill the carp in Shenango Reservoir, the Beaver, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers or will the cold temps make the virus go dormant until next year when the water warms up?

1.Without the carp, will there be more forage for the baby sport fish? 
2. Will the sport fish populations rise because more baby fish survive?
3. Will the insect/larva who live their larval stage in the water level rise? 
4. Will the number mosquitoes rise?
5. Will having more mosquitoes, cause greater incidence of mosquito borne illness? 
2017/10/04 08:16:34
psu_fish
I think less carp is a good thing
2017/10/04 09:14:04
roygpa
Another question to add to my list (may have already been asked):

6. How long with it take for the virus to move down stream and kill the carp in Shenango Reservoir, the Beaver, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers or will the cold temps make the virus go dormant until next year when the water warms up?

1.Without the carp, will there be more forage for the baby sport fish? 
2. Will the sport fish populations rise because more baby fish survive?
3. Will the insect/larva who live their larval stage in the water level rise? 
4. Will the number mosquitoes rise?
5. Will having more mosquitoes, cause greater incidence of mosquito borne illness? 

Roy, I did a little reading on the virus a few weeks ago just cause I was interested.  Seems that water temps between 60-75 is when the virus spreads the most.  If I recall correctly, it said water temps above 82-ish actually kill the virus, but lower temps do not kill it but slow the spread. 

The article also seemed to imply that once the virus is in a population of fish that it's always there unless it's killed at those higher temps. 

I would imagine that a decline in the carp population of any body of water, especially one as dense as Pymy, would be of benefit to other species.   

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account