• Northwest PA
  • Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. (p.6)
2017/08/26 23:28:22
VKT
EMitch
Come to think of it, it may not have been PCBs in the swordfish. Could'a been mercury. Either way, bad stuff.

It's Mercury, my wife is pregnant and limited to only certain fish only a couple times a week.
Mayo clinic states no shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish — can contain high levels of mercury.
It makes you wonder about fish from the Pacific with Fukushima leaking.

2017/08/29 08:39:29
CAPTAIN HOOK
ShenangoEyes
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the whole area. Live outside of new castle, and work in shippingport. I was asking more of a question of why hasn't the fish commission included or mentioned the beaver as well. Its not like there's a real separation in the river until beaver falls.

I agree , wonder what kind of readings do they take on fish or water below Shenango . We never hear any thing about the Beaver or beyond. Does anybody else draw drinking water from Shenango other then us in Sharon (Aqua) ? 
2017/08/29 15:13:25
looch325
pcbs arent spread very far by current, they are heavier than water and sink to the bottom. The food chain spreads the contamination much faster.  bottom feeders and apex predators like killer whales  have been found to be the worse contaminated. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/s..ce-environment-39738582

I wouldnt go drinking loads of tap water anywhere but removing pcbs from water cant be all that hard just from what we know about the makeup of polychlorinated biphenyl(stable, heavy, water does not dissolve it). Would cost loads of money to the EPA to dredge and set up mobile or stationary sediment processing plants. Talking trillions of bucks. The country should of jumped on it in the 1970s, then you have NIMBY types that will oppose dredging projects like this as was seen on the Hudson in the 80s and 90s. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account