• Northwest PA
  • Jet Divers and Dipsy Divers in smaller lakes (p.2)
2016/11/03 10:32:35
Porktown
Check Ebay too, if you don't go the Redneck route.  A lot of guys pour and sell lead jigs/lures using those Do-It Molds.  There are a few that look similar to the Redneck.  You'll have to search Ebay to find the sellers.

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Shad-and-Minnow-Shaped-Spoon-Molds_c_156.html

Here is a good Erie Trib egg pattern too.

http://store.do-itmolds.c...Molds_c_182.html 

2016/11/03 10:39:13
Divemaster
Better be trolling for some big fish if you're going to use dipsies. Usually takes about 4-5# of pressure to trip mine and then that's a lot of lead between you and the fish too. Downriggers would be better, but you'd need some light releases and need to monitor the depth constantly so the balls don't get stuck on structure. Believe me, I've seen what's happened to friends' boats if they snag a ball on the bottom while trolling, and it's not pretty, or cheap. I'd just use diving cranks with a big splitshot 6-8' up for trolling smaller lakes. Or 3-way rigs, can never go wrong with them, drifting or trolling.
2016/11/03 10:47:31
psu_fish
Mini Dipsy's and the Big Jon mini divers don't have releases.

I'm thinking the 3-way swivel rig will be good for drifting/trolling holdover trout @ Justus in the summer time.
2016/11/05 06:45:01
ShenangoEyes
I don't use redneck trolling weights, only referenced the chart. I use a red off shore clip with an inline trolling weight attached.

You don't really even need the clips, as a rubber band can get the job done too.
2017/08/22 08:18:00
psu_fish
Bringing back an older thread....

Anybody else use Offshore Tackle's "Tadpoles" ??

I bought a couple of the size 1 tadpole divers. Used them this past weekend. Fired up my precision trolling app, and couldn't get these little buggers to dive at the depth the app is telling me. I was trying to troll small rapalas 15 feet down. The app says @ 1.0 mph only need to let out 20 feet of line. We were needing 40-45 off the line counter to hit bottom.

So I'm not 100% sold on the precision trolling data. Anybody else run into accuracy issues with the precision trolling LLC data?

2017/08/22 20:18:50
chauncy
That's on 10# mono. Hope you weren't using braid. I'm not sold on my book either.
2017/08/22 20:42:54
BeenThereDoneThat.
I prefer to find the depth I wish to troll letting out the line till I bump bottom then head to where I want to fish.

I don't catch fish but I know I am fishing the depth at the trolling speed I wish.

I still don't catch fish, but I do look good.
2017/08/23 08:03:54
psu_fish
chauncy
That's on 10# mono. Hope you weren't using braid. I'm not sold on my book either.

I even went out and bought the same 10lb. mono the precision trolling team uses in testing
2017/08/30 08:52:51
psu_fish
Ok, so thinking of taking one my older level wind reels and converting it to a lead core set-up. Question is, who do you guys attached lead core to the leader? Use swivel to connect it to the fluro leader or some type of knot directly between the two?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account