2016/04/25 12:45:22
treesparrow
Roygpa Clancy CH BTDT and all others that are out there catching them, great keep at it. I have been out of commission with my back for better than a week. might try Wednesday.
2016/04/25 12:54:25
CAPTAIN HOOK
Those Catfish like those Raps too ! Buddies caught 3 already at night.
BTDT , so that was you bobbing out in those swells last night !
I'll give you credit, I'm glad I wasn't the only nut out and about.....
I was on shore getting showered by every other wave ! Got some flashbacks of Lake Erie .   
2016/04/25 13:25:52
roygpa
Forgot to mention that a guy fishing from one of the docks just North of Orchard on Saturday from mid afternoon to 10 PM or so hooked 3 walleye landed two, and also landed a catfish and what he said were 2- 10 pound carp. He was using night crawlers.
Also one of my buddies hooked and landed a 21 incher and 23 incher (walleye) on Saturday afternoon. not sure where he was fishing, though, but I do know it was from a boat. He was a happy camper that day. Maybe he will see this post as he does checkout this thread every once in awhile, don't you Joe?
2016/04/26 07:46:02
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Gave it a shot again yesterday after work. First drift through produced one eye. As I made the second drift I was watching the storm off to the west thinking it was going to miss, then the SW wind went dead calm and then switched blowing the storm directly at me. Decided it was time to go, but it was too late. Man, did it put down some rain quick. By the time I made it back to Alcatraz I was soaked and the rain had all but quit. Saw a few large lightning bolts on the way in that got my attention.

As a side note, as I was reeling in my second pole trying to get the hell out of dodge I must have gotten shocked 15-20 times by my pole. Dropped it, picked it back up and you could hear the static crackling in it. Saw a huge lightning bolt a few minutes later. Kinda freaked me out. Glad I didn't end up being a lightning rod :)
2016/04/26 08:55:28
BeenThereDoneThat.
Crappie_Slayer, you were certainly in that situation where it calls for a person to crouch low, placing ones head between your knees and, kiss your asz goodbye.

Hope all takes heed to your warning,  "DON'T MESS WITH THE WEATHER ON THE PYMIE"!!!

Happy to hear all's well and you'll be here to fish another day.

Tight lines to all and to all, tight lines.

2016/04/26 10:04:15
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
BTDT, I've watched many storms roll up the shorelines of pymy, and had some great days as the fish would really turn on. Usually isn't a problem, but when they turn quick like yesterday you can be in for some interesting times. Never had anything happen with the static electricity like that before though. One of these days I'll wise up...
2016/04/26 10:30:16
roygpa
Glad you didn't get zapped Crappie_Slayer. I've been out in some pretty bad storms, but haven't come that close to getting zapped.

-Roy
2016/04/26 10:47:46
outasync
I've been too brave a few times. The closest was with the wife and her screaming at me it was time to go. The lake went from calm and flat to 4 ft waves and a total downpour just as we got to the dock. The whole lake had that static feeling to it and I decide to wait until it passed to load the boat as I thought it was going g to throw the boat onto the dock and didn't want to try to catch it. Since then I've learned to get off the lake long before the storms coming in.
2016/04/26 10:53:19
BeenThereDoneThat.
Until last fall, other than a day here or a day there, I didn't frequent Pymatuning.  But I do remember hearing, as a kid, (a few short years ago ) of how storms in the area would stall, back-up to regroup and, change directions without warning.  

While fishing the south end of Pymatuning on several occasions last year, I watched as storms passed over the north end yet, blue sky remained over my area.

I've been on the lake enough to learn that a wind of 10-15 MPH blowing in the right direction will create some hefty waves and make for a wild ride.  I can only imagine what it must be like getting caught in a wind producing storm, that ripped through my area around 3:30 AM this morning.

Tight lines to all..............
2016/04/26 11:37:08
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Outasync, my dad has told me a very similar story about having my mother out many years ago and it kicked up like that. She still doesn't let him live that one down :)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account