2016/03/19 17:51:48
slabfinder
You guys have been suckered he was sitting on that picture and was waiting for someone to bite. Red tail suckers should be active now!
2016/03/21 09:44:42
roygpa
Met the two biologists at the net near Orchard yesterday morning and they brought their catch to shore to measure so that I could watch the process. They caught about 15 walleye from about 7 inches to just over 23 inches. Most of the walleye were keeper sized males. They took a scale sample from the 23 incher. They also caught 3 carp, a sucker two log perch and 3 or 4 yellow perch that were all about 10 inches. Quite a few shiner type minnows, but no alewives, which they seemed surprised about. They consider the catch in this net to be bad ( I thought it was great) and they attributed the low catch to the fact that the water is always colder there by two to three degree and other places in the lake where they catch as many as 75 to 100 eyes each night. they pulled the net and talked about hauling it north to Linesville for the next set.  all in all a great time for me. I think I promised to bring them breakfast next year if they set a net in the same place. :)
2016/03/21 10:03:25
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Sounds like an interesting morning. Nice post roy
2016/03/21 10:10:38
Big Tuna
You should see the net trap on the propagation side by the spillway,toward town. I've watched then with binoculars unload tons of eyes. Unfortunately due to stress or handling them from milking them, a lot of them end up on the menu at the open house at the hatchery. I guess it's the the way of life,a few are sacrificed to make millions of fry. They do a good job a Pymy, to bad there' s more warm water hatchery's.
2016/03/21 11:46:07
roygpa
I've never been to that hatchery for open house. Will they have walleye eggs bubbling away in the hatchery containers, or will they have already hatched by then?
2016/03/21 12:08:31
opsman
So I just got back a little bit ago and I have this to report.   IT IS FREAKING COLD OUT THERE!!
Spent about three hours out of Linesville, (just had to get it out of my system)
Three crappies  Winds NW and a good chop on the lake.  Snow flurries.  I think the thermometer on my depth finder said the water was 40° but that may not be accurate because I didn't have all the ice chipped off the unit!
Not going to have another chance to go out for about twelve days so just had to give it a try!
2016/03/21 12:42:28
opsman
Both....Unfortunately I am working like 16hr shifts the next ten days, and then I have to get my jeep in the shop because a week ago some fine young man who had his drivers license a WHOLE 40 hours decided to customize the whole front end of my vehicle!!! So I might be on the shelf til the first of April!!  Gotta love it
2016/03/21 13:12:12
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
I hear ya on work being busy opsman. As usual spring fishing gets underway, and the floodgates at the shop bust open with work. I'll never complain about being overly busy at work ( love that overtime ), but it does mean sleep will be at a premium when the bite picks up soon. Gonna give it another go Tuesday evening. Hoping the fish cooperate a little more this time out.
2016/03/21 13:15:20
chauncy
I remember those days when i went when i could. Weather didn't matter back then. Paid my dues by putting my years in on the job and now i go when i want too. Man, it's freakin cold out there today. I feel for you. Hope you get your vehicle fixed quickly and you get better weather for your next trip out.
2016/03/21 14:18:08
CAPTAIN HOOK
I was on that side for many years too! Work schedule first , everything you like to do second or third. That ended this past January !  Now I sing ...."Take that job and shove it ".......when I go fishing !

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account