2017/04/19 08:33:37
Eman89so
I'd like to use those small catfish at me bait ...
2017/04/19 09:23:40
mopars0
Never ate pike until I was in Canada one time, this guy in the camp next to us wanted to know if we wanted some poor man's lobster. Wasn't sure but said heck ya , here he would filet it then cut meat into little cubes, boil in water serve it with melted butter or other sauces you could dip it in .... it was actual good. I usually release the pike down here but every now and then I keep one ...😜👍 ...never ate catfish either , have a friend that loves them though.
2017/04/19 09:55:53
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Had a few good winters of catching pike on tipups. Always did it just for fun. Finally decided 3 years ago that I was gonna keep one and try it, but go figure I haven't caught a decent one since.

Zelie, you're more than welcome to keep my share of the cats. I've actually caught 2 large ones this spring I've thought about keeping, but at the end of the day they went back in the drink. You're right though, the big ones are fun to catch. Always make me think its gonna be a decent eye until they roll to the surface 20yds from the boat.
2017/04/19 10:08:36
roygpa
Had a meal of those 13 to 19 inch Pymy catfish last summer. Also had a flank steak just in case the catfish tasted bad. Pymy cats in that size range are great and we are looking forward to catching more this summer.
2017/04/19 10:24:49
Fisherlady2
I have eaten catfish from numerous places and found the common denominator in getting a good meal from them is how you handle them and what age fish you keep.  I say age and not size because in some systems the cats have great forage bases and gain size very quickly (Erie is that way)...I prefer channels under 24", blues and flats under 30", and with a head appearing smaller than their shoulders (another sign of age vs growth).  With Blues or Flatheads it isn't as big an issue but it definitely is on channels and any bullhead you may be wanting to keep. 
If you are keeping them for food then cut the gills and allow them to bleed out quickly, then put them in a cooler on ice until you can filet them. I have also done the tub of water for a couple of days to 'purge' them but really didn't notice a great change in the meat quality over the bleeding alone. 
Catfish can be an excellent meal, but can also be ruined pretty quickly...though I have found that to be the case with many fish.  I had a much adored older relative who loved catfish and EM and I would always make it a point to catch a catfish on a regular basis so I could cook it up for Clyde...he is gone now but many good memories of enjoying a catfish meal with him telling 'remember when' stories! 
2017/04/19 14:51:27
CAPTAIN HOOK
Another nice calm evening on Pymy. Walleye action has been slow they must all be in the nets or I'm getting outsmarted !

2017/04/19 14:59:38
CAPTAIN HOOK
almost outsmarted...............

2017/04/19 15:25:24
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Way to go captain.
2017/04/19 15:37:45
Big Tuna
Nice one buddy. Looks like he's going to get dipped in a cajun breading and  introduced to the grease. I did a bag of perch yesterday for lunch in Andy's cajun breading,it was a winner. It's a dead ringer,looking at your reel " full spool" dead giveaway you know how to fish.lol I would have never guessed it would be slow fishing with this early spring.I talked to my buddy that got a place over by Snodgrass,and he watched the PFC pull nets a couple of weekends ago and said the nets where full of eyes. Maybe they kept them all for the open house fish fry. lol 
2017/04/19 17:31:18
CAPTAIN HOOK
Yea I'm beginning to wonder where they are. Andy's Cajun is my favorite glad you liked it. Lots of casting and not many fish so far, time will tell. Lots of boats out last night.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account