2017/03/06 08:40:53
opsman
Hell. I can't remember what was there before. I know there was a small railing at the end of the dock!
2017/03/06 10:07:32
fishin coyote
Purpose of said railing is for liability issues, nothing more nothing less. Having loaded and unloaded on ramps with railings it's not a big deal just need a longer rope
Mike
2017/03/06 11:06:35
BeenThereDoneThat.
Is this railing different than the railings at other launch facilities on the Pymie?

Also, the slope of the ramp, is it not designed the same? That being to accomdate all rigs using the facility?

From the (great) pictures it looks as the dock will be remain in the water year round. Nice when there ain't ice and ya get the urge to float your boat in the winter. Been There Done That and have enjoyed fishing in Feb..... not catching any stupid fish.😏
2017/03/06 12:37:17
opsman
Well I guess the liability part makes sense in our sue-happy culture, but does that mean they are only liable for the first ten feet of dock?  lol  A longer rope is obvious, it's just a heckuva lot easier to control when you don't have that rail and you're by yourself.  Don't like to power load the boat and turn the end of the ramp into a trench...not to mention sucking that crap up into the motor.
All in all they did a great job with the funds they had.  They were hoping to dredge more of the area out but that's where the funds ran out.  Again, in a perfect world they would have put in another ramp to the right of the existing one.  That is one busy launch in the spring.   Personally I like it better from June on when there are days that only see a handful of boats launch from there.  Either way won't be long til I test it out.  Of course now the extended weather forecast doesn't show a day above forty degrees after this Wednesday, extending all the way thru next weekend!  Have to dig out my thermals
2017/03/06 18:16:18
fishin coyote
Rich,
You mean there are other colors besides yellow? LOL

Ops,
I think it has something to due with the ramp itself and the transition between solid ground and the floating dock.
Mike
2017/03/06 22:08:19
pheasant tail 2
The railing is most likely also an ADA requirement. The slope of the ramp changes as the water level rises and falls
2017/03/07 15:40:12
thunderpole
Water temp was 40° last night , no fish but felt great to be back out chucking raps come on warmer weather!
2017/03/07 16:17:38
thunderpole
Bring it on! It felt good wierd how warm it was last night typically im fishing with frozen fingers and in a snow storm, no go tonight think im gonna give it a go again tomorrow
2017/03/07 17:28:09
opsman
Well Dog, I'm going to share your weather optimism.  Everything I looked at showed the highest temp as 49 next Friday!  WKBN just said maybe three inches of snow Thursday night and a high of 20 Saturday!  ****, what else could go wrong?  Oh, I know, We set the clocks AHEAD one hour Saturday night!
2017/03/07 17:52:54
thunderpole
Yea my phone says 20-40ish till the 21st but i dont believe it 90% the time maby I should buy an ice auger

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account