2016/11/16 23:53:36
BeenThereDoneThat.
Capt. here is some information you should find interesting, not sure if this strain of weed is new or, just an excuse for using harsh(er) chemicals to clear the entire lake of any natural, oxygen producing, living habitat.  I'm told, five years ago, this Hydrilla is different from the same weed that's been growing in the area lakes, since the invention of water.  This Hydrilla can spread, which weeds do because "that's what they do", and it is undoubtedly become immune to the many past years of herbicidal attacks.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2015/10/12/nasty-invasive-threatens-fishing-hunting-at-pymatuning/ 
2016/11/17 09:05:59
ZelieSam
Simple solution: stock more manatees.  
2016/11/17 09:14:35
Porktown
BeenThereDoneThat.
Capt. here is some information you should find interesting, not sure if this strain of weed is new or, just an excuse for using harsh(er) chemicals to clear the entire lake of any natural, oxygen producing, living habitat.  I'm told, five years ago, this Hydrilla is different from the same weed that's been growing in the area lakes, since the invention of water.  This Hydrilla can spread, which weeds do because "that's what they do", and it is undoubtedly become immune to the many past years of herbicidal attacks.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2015/10/12/nasty-invasive-threatens-fishing-hunting-at-pymatuning/ 

PFBC needs to invest in an Oxygen Destroyer!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65rW_SIzg0
2016/11/17 15:00:08
CAPTAIN HOOK
Wow! That sounds like it BTDT ! Not a good plant after reading all that. I'm seeing way more weed growth at the Dam area shorelines. This is a major issue now and going into the future. This weed infestation has destroyed lakes ,just chokes them up !

Bad news for Pymy especially being a shallow lake, it makes it worse !
They say the biologists are very concerned....I can believe that.

Wow, I miss the days you went fishing and nothing changed for years.  

Rich , I usually just use a standard 6 1/2' or 7 ' rod on the local rivers and lakes.
Some guys that boat fish like the longer poles for Crappie jigging in the brush .
2016/11/17 22:31:05
CAPTAIN HOOK
Wow this stuff sucks !

Threat(s):  Invasion by Hydrilla results in extensive economical and ecological damage.  It clogs waterways, interrupting irrigation structures, inhibiting hydroelectric power and interrupting many commercial operations by impeding boat movement, especially by getting caught up in propellors.  Hydrilla is a huge impediment to tourism and can lower real estate values.  The economic consequence is steep.  It includes both the damage incurred by hydrilla as well as attempts at controlling and eradicating it.

Hydrilla forms stands of large monocultures that can be hundreds of acres in size, and it is notorious because of its effective ability to displace native species as well as interrupt patterns of natural water movement.  The dense mats that it forms can also hamper the predatory ability of some fish, creating a food chain predominately ruled by small insectivores.  Lastly, the plant can degrade water quality by changing the amounts of dissolved oxygen, pH and other water characteristics. 
2016/11/18 01:06:42
BeenThereDoneThat.
Floated around from 1:30 PM til sundown yesterday. Mostly trolling two lines of leadcore, boating a very nice Crappie and Smallmouth Bass, both being returned to the depths of Pymie.

Water temp has dropped two degrees and now reading at 48.

Many fishy pictures being marked in various depths of water with fish holding on the average of two feet from the bottom in 24 ft + depths.

I stayed in water deeper than 25 feet checking my lure depth by letting them bump bottom at 23 ft.

Trolling speeds ranged from .5 to 2 MPH depending on the actual depth of water and fishy pictures.

Spoke with several other anglers fishing from boats and the docks. Catching reports were similar..... stupid fish.
2016/11/18 07:36:00
treesparrow
  I know it seems to late for regulations on the importation of exotic species however there are many more that we do not want. As a Forester I have experienced the devastation wrought by invasive species. We need import laws in many sectors protecting our section of the Earth.
2016/11/18 09:41:24
BeenThereDoneThat.
American Chestnut Blight, Gypsy Moth, Emerald Ash Borer, Zebra Mussel, Asian Carp, PA Fish Comm, PA Game Comm, ............
2016/11/18 10:32:46
Porktown
I'm pretty sure most were brought here accidentally.  I think zebra mussels were in the bilge water of a cargo ship.  PA Fish Commission was in a pork barrel.  It would be really hard to control, without eliminating all international trade and travel.  I do think there should be some sort of common sense measures of fish sales, ect.  From my understanding, it is some sort of Asian ritual to buy two fish, and release one for good luck.  Every year, there ends up being live talapia in the rivers, and climates like Florida where they can survive are overrun with them now.  Having some sort of regulation that all fish sold as food, should be killed on site, and not sold live, makes sense.
2016/11/18 10:48:01
ZelieSam
There are a SHOCKING amount of laws regarding the import and trade of non-native animals and plants.  And they will never solve the problem.  You can buy heroin on any pretty much any street corner in the US and that has billions of dollars of law enforcement thrown at it.  If someone wants a three-eyed scooter scorpion from Azerbaijan and is willing to pay enough for it, they will get it and when it gets loose if they live somewhere the creature can thrive it will.  The world has become a tiny place.  

For myself, I'm not nostalgic for native species.  If they wanted to stock zander (look them up) in Arthur and they ate all of the native walleye, but we had an awesome zander fishery instead, sign me up.  In fact, throw some of those huge euro-perch in there too for good measure.  :)  

There's a spot along the East coast of FL where the canal system and a couple lakes are loaded with huge aquarium fish.  Big cichlids, clown knife fish, peacock bass.  It's a destination fishery now.  Ever changing world.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account