2016/01/20 17:57:23
BeenThereDoneThat.

PYMATUNING ICE SKINNY

Jamestown, PA.     
                                                               01/20/2015

Trekking carefully I conducted  a official certified ice thickness "Spud Bar Thunking Test" in and around the Jamestown boat launch and marina.  Intitial (as in 30 to 50' from shore) "thunking" required 4 to 6 stabs  before a complete penetration was acquiredMoving further from shore the test revealed; less than 4 but more than 2 stabs, were needed to obtain the same results as above.  I continued with the preliminary test until I found areas requiring less than two stabs at which time I said, to he!! with this.

Secondary test were conducted of the areas with an authentic Mora 7" ice auger that confirmed area "A" to be 2 1/2" thick ice.  Area "B" requiring less then 4 but more then 2 stabs of the thunk test was found to have 2" (+/-) thick.

Thickness for areas of ice beyond "B", you can go find out for yourself.. 10-4? 

I certainly was not happy with the results regarding ice thickness but, happy to say I saw no "gray ice" and heard Pymie moan and groan as her waters continue turning from liquid to solid.

I cannot substantiate ice thickness for the other areas of the lake however, I do know, I saw no other idiots on the ice.

In conclusion, while the ice was thick enough to support my, cute little chubby body, I certainly in no uncertain terms would advise two people walking/standing/fishing together. 

Respectfully submitted;

BTDT

Cracks.. she's makin ice.
Me not catching crap!

PS.  NO....... they don't remove the public docks at Jamestown for the winter months.

Yeah.. they are still in.

2016/01/20 19:32:44
JRSR
Is it permissible to fish from the dock?
2016/01/20 20:30:58
chauncy
Yes it is.
2016/01/21 12:10:16
BeenThereDoneThat.
Loaded up and trucking, north bound and down,  hmmm not exactly a proper word when, discussing "ice fishing" but anyway, I'll be out of the office this afternoon getting first hand reports.  Wish me luck!!!
2016/01/23 08:15:41
icereaper32
misery bay has about 4-5 inches and chestnut is fishable.  fished misery bay yesterday only 2 hours caught 25 blue gill a couple perch and handful crappie
2016/01/23 09:11:49
BeenThereDoneThat.
Fair to good ice off of Tuttle Point blanketed with a couple inches of snow.  Ice thickness ranged from 3 to 4" with the top layer being formed from frozen slush.  A few areas of wet slush did dot the area.

Taking today off, having conducted "spud bar test", "bore-a-hole bore-a-hole test", catching no fish, and watching the TWC (I have no idea why) channel the past three days.............   my azz hurts.

Back at it again tomorrow if the "Ben****", "Icy Hot" and, "Advil" work! 

Think spring and tight lines.

Seriously....  BEN****, a medicated analgesic heat rub used to temporarily relieve muscle and joint pain, censored.  Huhh, I'll be dammed!
2016/01/25 12:07:50
BeenThereDoneThat.
HELL YES............

2016/01/27 11:35:59
hoopie2
fished shenango yesterday , 7 in. hard water
  not going to tell you how we did as this is
a great time to get out and check for yourself
that way you can get rid of that cabin fever.
2016/01/27 21:51:11
Eman89so
headed to high point tomorrow

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account