2018/07/23 19:53:32
fallschirmjaeger
I've always been a spin rod man.  I want to try a bait caster set up.  My requirements wound be a fairly long rod (8'?), and quality reel that cast very well and are strong enough to handle musky lures, but also largemouth, pike, striper and catfish fishing.  I know nothing of bait casters.  Help me find something that is reasonably priced (I realize I will buy the rod and reel separate), but also meets my requirements.  Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.
2018/07/23 22:58:19
Divemaster
Musky and Largemouth are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. For one you need a stout, heavy power rod with plenty of backbone to pull hooks through a bony mouth, and the other is better suited to light or medium power tackle (if you want to enjoy the fight). If you’re looking for something for Musky and large Pike though, I love my St. Croix Triumph Musky. 7’6” heavy-power, fast-action, 2-6oz cast weight. Have it paired with a Daiwa Lexa 300, 7.1:1, spooled with 80# power pro. Couldn’t ask for a more comfortable setup for big jerkbaits and swimbaits. Works great for deepwater jigging 2oz+ baits on Erie and Ontario, too. The whole setup ran me somewhere between $300-350 if I’m recalling correctly.
2018/07/24 08:16:39
FishinGuy
Additionally, for catfish, your probably want something with a clicker. Most baitcasters with clickers I've seen are the round type. Like Abu Garcia ambassadors. There's loads of different models of them with various features.
2018/07/24 08:36:15
fallschirmjaeger
Thanks guys...

I mostly fish cats and stripers in the spring, so this would predominantly be a muskie/pike rod.  I was just trying to think of how I could get more use out of one.  
2018/07/24 10:43:14
BeenThereDoneThat.
Fomoco, Mopar, or Bowtie . 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 4x4 or more.

The reel needs to be sized for the line you wish to use. Lb test + yards as is the rod for line weight and weight of the lure. Light action vs heavy action depends on how you drive the vehicle and is entirely up to you.

If you are one who enjoys the fight, as mentioned above, than a "lighter action" rod is to be considered. However, a heavy action rod should be thought if lifting snagged sunken boat motors or rip-n-lips is your cup of tea.

For a multipurpose reel, by all means one with a "clicker". As well said above, great for fishing the big-uns that will be running with bait but in addition, a handy device when trolling. But a no no, in my book, if the reel is being used for chucking and chunking lures. Watching that lure whipped out across the water with the clicker engaged is a barrel of chyts and giggles, when someone else does it, not so much if it's you driving.

The reel question (😏 get it, reel?) is how much if any, do you have using a bait casting or level wind fishing reel?

Good times and tight lines.
2018/07/24 11:17:04
fallschirmjaeger
BTDT,

The only bait caster I ever owned was a small Quantum rod/reel combo I tried out for a bit.  After a week of mastering bird's nests, I returned to my trusty spinning reels.  

Also, I would more than likely fall into the 'chucking and chucking' camp, so I'm thinking the bait clicker is maybe not the way to go for myself.  
2018/07/24 12:48:08
FishinGuy
Still may want to have a look at Abu ambassadors. Probably allot cheaper than a tranx or Revo Toro winch
2018/07/24 14:26:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
fallschirmjaeger
BTDT,

The only bait caster I ever owned was a small Quantum rod/reel combo I tried out for a bit.  After a week of mastering bird's nests, I returned to my trusty spinning reels.  

Also, I would more than likely fall into the 'chucking and chucking' camp, so I'm thinking the bait clicker is maybe not the way to go for myself.  

Gotcha.......  Here's my two cents.  Bait caster with adjustable magnetic braking system.  However bait casters, while not hard to master usually end up being tossed out, laid aside, if not smashed or deep sixed.   Sooooooo I recommend "NOT" going out and spending a bunch of money for a reel unless of course, you have more money than you know what to do with and in that case, I have a few acres of land with a 'private lake' for sale.   Onnnnnnn the other hand, buying a cheaper-than-dirt bait caster will likely have you filmed and appearing on YouTube as you demonstrate your hate and discontent upon the reel by, smashing, deep sixing or, a combination of both. 

Also the less expensive reels, of course,  are not the best quality and will not last regarding hours of chunking and chucking especially, the larger musky lures that have your bait caster, whining like a siren on a fire truck.

Also, stay away from those combos, unless of course you are a gluten for punishment.  Spend the money on a quality rod built for your intended use and pair it with a reel then practice (patients is a virtue) and that practice is learning how to "first set the reel up" before firing a 6oz lure 10 feet out on the water followed by, stomping your feet, digging at your reel while being filmed for a YouTube presentation.

Longer fishing rods do not necessarily mean longer cast but do aid with hook setting and there is no need to spend additional money for a rod made of high strength "Premium quality SCII graphite" for throwing lures.  Unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with and in that case, don't forget I have some land for sale.  Longer rods are also a burden when casting from shore or close to other objects which need only touch your lure, creating a magnificent "birds nest", as you bring the rod tip forward.

Making a long story short, in addition to the bait casting reel of your choice, I might recommend the option of purchasing a "pick" to assist with knot removal from the reel spool.  This item is inexpensive and  comes in "reel" handy.

Should you choose to continue with your plans, please feel free to let me know as I have a few "tricks of the trade" of which I can't guarantee will even work.

Tight lines and good times.
2018/07/24 16:50:11
fallschirmjaeger
Thanks for all the great responses.  Would I be stupid to be considering:

8' heavy Bulldawg rod (I have to be able to fit the thing in the bed of my truck)
Daiwa Lexa 400 6.3:1 reel

That would put the whole set up between $250 - $280.  I hate to spend the coin on a cheaper rig only to feel the need to upgrade later.  Then again as BTDT wisely remarked, there is the chance I may not like the baitcaster rig and end up having to resell the set up later.  It's a catch 22 I suppose and I understand both arguments. 
2018/07/24 17:09:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
Make that a 6 1/2 to 7 foot heavy action rod coupled to a "bait" caster capable of holding your preferred pound test line.  Caution: there are bait casting reels and casting reels and (in my book) they do not cast the same.   Anyway, here is an article that discusses your very question.  http://www.in-fisherman.c...pike-and-muskie-reels/

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account