2018/10/12 12:01:32
BeenThereDoneThat.
I agree with the "different atmosphere" but could it also be said the same vulgararity and anger is working it's way onto the fields of school programs? Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to coach, let alone officiate, such sports?

No question about the joy experienced by a parent/mentor as they observe the success of a young person.

I can't argue the reasons why some parents push school sports on their children. Be it in hopes of a scholarship or just to have the kids experience and learn to be a team player. Not much of a chance for a scholarship for a kid killing a..... errrr harvesting a 'real wall hanger' of a elusive PA. White Tailed Antlerless Deer.

Although, plenty of college sports programs for fishing, golfing, etc. if parents can afford to get their children into a college but still, one must have expirence before acceptance in those programs.

Anyways, I have enjoyed the opinions expressed thus far. 👍
2018/10/13 08:20:38
dpms
I support youth hunting and fishing opportunities.
I support no age restriction on hunting and fishing. 
I wish more folks would take their kids hunting and fishing. 
Increasing divorce rates are playing a larger role in the decrease in kids in the outdoors.
It is well researched that the earlier a kid is introduced to an activity, the more likely they are to continue on with it.
As hunter numbers keep decreasing, we should be removing barricades that limit participation.
As hunters numbers decrease, our foundation to fight against anti-hunting agendas becomes weaker.
I could go on and on but won't. 

I would ask BeenThere a question. Who is negatively impacted by youth hunting initiatives?

2018/10/13 10:36:05
psu_fish
Absolutely no reason a 5 year old should be in the woods, with a centerfire rifle, shooting a deer. I do not care how close the adult mentor is sitting next to the kid.

99.9% of these kids are not ready to handle a centerfire.

I carried a 270 around when I was 12, with my dad and uncles in 1998, before all this mentored youth crap. Looking back, I was not ready for a gun of that size. I shot a whole box of ammo and hit nothing but dirt and trees. Didnt kill a deer till I was 14, and even then, I had to have a bipod, and the doe I sot was inside 30 yards.

I dont care if these 5 year olds are using 223, they are not ready or safe to be shooting rifles.

That program is totally abused. Mentored youth should start at age 10. Give them two years to get a taste of hunting.
2018/10/13 11:04:13
BeenThereDoneThat.
dpms

I would ask BeenThere a question. Who is negatively impacted by youth hunting initiatives?

I thought you would never ask!!!

My answer is those who benefit from the programs. That would be those who exploit the programs to further their agenda. That would be the PGC as well as the industry involved with production of any product produced for a particular activity. A big impact would surely be felt by "research groups", wudda ya think?

By your very comments you admit hunter numbers continue to decline which indicate young hunters do not carry on. You also say there is a need to remove "barricades" that limit participation. Are you speaking of barricades that have been imposed causing the older hunters to give up?

Speaking of older hunters, would that category involve only "babyboomers" or does it include the "young" hunters who have now become of age and must abide by the new rules? Different world I'm thinkin'. Welcome to reality.

Back to this research thingy, got any idea how much money is spent by the PGC/PFBC telling you what you want to hear? Information like "divorce" being a key factor in young people not participating in hunting/fishing and cause for falling numbers among the young?

No age limit? What a great scheme that one is. I didn't start spending money buying hunting equipment, clothing, etc. for my son until he was 12 years of age. (one of them barricades I suppose). Today, parent(s) will begin spending money much earlier for much longer.

Your research says  kid introduced into an outdoor sport at an earlier age is more "likely" to continue.

Reality says a child "earning" the right rather be "given" the right will continue on, as well as, passing it on.

I have nothing against "mentored hunting" but I no longer participate. I can't take a young person into a field of "make believe" knowing full well, what the young hunter will see when they become of age and enter the "field(s) of reality".

So, who does benefit, from the "youth programs"?

PS. Thanks for asking and good hunting.
2018/10/13 11:24:04
psu_fish
Curious why DPMS mentions supporting no age limits on fishing? There never has been a restriction, other than having to buy a license at 16. And little Johnny isnt on the water with a deadly weapon.

Always wondered why PFBC didnt push for license age to be 12 to mirror PGC. They are missing out on 4 years of revenue.
2018/10/13 11:44:56
BeenThereDoneThat.
Carefully what ya wish for PSU. The PFBC did follow the "antlerless license" with the "trout stamp" and as does the PGC AR scheme, loading specific areas to force anglers to purchase a trout stamp. Keep an eye on Shenango if trout are caught in the lake. This coming ice season my just be the year.

I'll stand corrected but only if time tells.
2018/10/13 12:29:09
CAPTAIN HOOK
psu_fish
Absolutely no reason a 5 year old should be in the woods, with a centerfire rifle, shooting a deer. I do not care how close the adult mentor is sitting next to the kid.

99.9% of these kids are not ready to handle a centerfire.

I dont care if these 5 year olds are using 223, they are not ready or safe to be shooting rifles.

That program is totally abused. Mentored youth should start at age 10. Give them two years to get a taste of hunting.

I have to agree !

I stand corrected ....I didn't know that youth hunters were allowed at such a young age .I just thought the early youth hunts were a good idea as far as season openers. Giving them a better
opportunity without adult competition.

I find it hard to believe divorce rates are a major cause of young people not being able to hunt or fish..(BS !) Most of my friends that hunted had no father mentors....my dad never hunted ever.
I still blame no local areas to hunt as the major villain ! What incentive is there to go hunting if you have to drive 20 miles away or more and hunt areas. Then you still have to worry about trespassing across neighbors property while your hunting on land with permission.

Those private hunting clubs are too blame too....go ahead and post more land for yourselves. Hunters against hunters ....that's just great for the sport !

Nothing worse than driving in prime hunting areas and see nothing but posted signs on trees for miles both sides of the roads.....and most of those land owners refuse even if you ask ....I know first hand...... no wonder young kids have no incentive to hunt.
2018/10/13 13:11:58
CAPTAIN HOOK

I stand corrected ....I didn't know that youth hunters were allowed at such a young age .I just thought the early youth hunts were a good idea as far as season openers. Giving them a better
opportunity without adult competition.

There are opportunities for junior hunters (age 12-16) that are different from the Mentored Youth Program (kids under 12 who have not taken HTE and must sit next to an adult in limited seasons, but can take the shot).  

For the last couple weeks, there was a squirrel season for junior hunters, but not mentored youth.  

For the last couple weeks, there was a rabbit season for junior hunters, but not mentored youth.

From last Saturday through today, there was a pheasant season for junior hunters, but not mentored youth.  

Forget which one it was, but one Saturday in September, there was a statewide one day waterfowl hunt for junior hunters, but not mentored youth, where they could shoot ducks as well as the early season geese.  

Mentored youth hunting is limited to turkeys, deer (they get their own antlered tag, but the mentor/adult must supply the doe tag if they shoot a doe and can't hunt during any deer season that a junior hunter can hunt), squirrels and I believe coyotes and groundhogs too.  Basically, the youth cannot walk around with a gun, and there can only be one gun between the adult and the kid.  The adult must sit "within arm's reach" of the kid in all hunting situations.  

Not trying to change your mind on how ya feel about it, was just pointing out some of the differences.  

I started taking my oldest deer hunting when he was 9, and he did just fine with a .30/.30 and dropped a spike with one shot.  At age 11, he dropped a 9 point with a .243.  Shooting off of sticks both times, and shots under 40 yards.  I wouldn't have allowed him to shoot much further than that anyway, unless it was a wide open shot.    

My youngest son is 8, and in my mind, is on the edge of being mentally and physically ready to hunt deer.  He can shoot a little .22 I have, and I'm about to take him out for squirrels for the second time.  

I wouldn't be opposed to a bottom end age limit on the Mentored Program either, but I also do know some kids that could handle shooting off of sticks with a crossbow or rifle at age 6 or 7.  But my boys were not, so I didn't take them out at that age.  
2018/10/13 15:38:58
dpms
psu_fish

Look up hunting related accidents in states that have no minimum age for hunting. After you do that, look up what age group is most likely to be involved in a hunting related accident. 
2018/10/13 15:42:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
Dave, you are the exception rather the rule.  Having read many of your threads, seen many of your pictures and having met you first hand I have to say you should qualify for "father of the year" as well as "poster dad" for "parents being involved".  Unfortunately far toooooo many parents do not exercise the the same quality standards as you and a few other parents.

I couldn't have agreed more with your comment, on a recent thread regarding the pressures applied to the young people by their parents and coaches.  Some, are truly trying to get the students to do their best but unfortunately, far too many coaches and parents are about themselves.  Least not forget those who abuse the programs for their own well being.

I might add, I never appreciated these new programs being reason to cause me to have to wear orange during archery season... dag nab-it.

Captain, don't know if you remember my original Avatar?  The pic with the "POSTED" sign as well as my many comments regarding acres and acres of hunting grounds being posted.  How about the responses telling me I was absolutely wrong as land owners were not posting their land?   Well, a few years ago, I saw an indication(a vision if you will) revealing things yet to come.   The indicator was there for everyone to see yet many were blinded (still are) by their denial to believe. 

You know stores like Tractor Supply and Walmart stay away from stocking merchandise that don't sell.  So why is it these stores, have been and continue to stock, "POSTED SIGNS"?  Must be sumbody is buyin em me thinks. 

If you ask me, (I dare ya) these stores are missing a fantastic advertising opportunity not having their name appear on the signs... there's tons of em around.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account