2018/02/23 21:06:55
BeenThereDoneThat.
Went for a look see ride to see what condition the conditions are in and to my pleasant surprise at Jamestown there appears open water to my eyes.

'cept there is also ice still floating in the launch and marina area. Riding across the dam for a quick visit to the spillway, we saw what looks to be fairly heavy ice in the bays behind the islands.

The main lake looked to be free of ice though I can't guarantee as I did not take a ride on the water after having discovered, I once again, forgot my boat.

Almost took care of that mistake, I know I heard my name being called, when I walked past the red and black SmokerCraft sitting in the showroom at Pymatuning Boat Sales. I know I heard it calling..... I know it was.

Ice floating along side of the docks appears to be just that, floating and possibly blown in by the wind.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Glossy water looks to be ice free and the more dull or satin area just beyond the gloss is definitely ice.

Water along the docks is very clear.

Now if yinz will please excuse me I must go, I keep hearing voices calling my name.

Attachment(s)

2018/02/23 22:04:45
slabfinder
Thanks for the great info. To my surprise lake doesnt look that "stained". I was thinking it would be chocolate milk, i know we have been getting quite a bit of rain here in Pittsburgh.
2018/02/23 22:43:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
I thought the water would have been stained but it was crystal clear. Standing where I snapped the picture looking out into the lake I could see the sandy bottom off shore to the right of the dock.

It also appears the lake level to be down as shown by exposed bare shorelines.

Weather dude saying sunshine first part of the week. Definitely a good time to have a look see at the other launch sights where one might find prespawn Walleye running the shallower water.

Ice out Crappie too..... yeah-ya !!!
2018/02/24 13:57:44
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Walking on water last weekend, walking in water this weekend. I love it. Brought home a nice mixed bag of panfish today. Lake is definitly low. HeII with sunshine early in the week BTDT. Chance of storms tomorrow. I'll be out there waiting for them to turn on before it as long as the lightning ain't flying.
2018/02/24 15:52:00
BeenThereDoneThat.
Good for you Crappie_Slayer, was you fishing off the docks at Jamestown yesterday?
2018/02/24 16:05:57
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Wading this morning
2018/02/24 20:42:37
BeenThereDoneThat.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Wading this morning

Gotcha on the wading.

Mother nature may take a shot at getting the lake level a bit higher through tonight and tomorrow morning. Weather dude saying 1 to 2" of rain possible tonight with another half to three quarters of an inch by mid day tomorrow. Of course the track of the storm will definitely determine which lake the rain ends up filling.
2018/02/25 00:08:51
thunderpole
Getting kinda ancy hope I can catch some walleyes this year not stand around all night looking like an idiot these next 2 months 😂
2018/02/25 09:01:59
CAPTAIN HOOK
I noticed Pymy stayed low most of last year especially in the fall. With all the rain we've had I would think it would be at normal depth now. They control that at the gate house so they must be allowing it to stay lower for some reason. 

Lots of dead Shad on shores I'm hearing.
2018/02/25 09:49:51
BeenThereDoneThat.
Wind from the West sustained in the low 20's gusting in the high 30's today the water gonna get churned up a bit.  I would suspect, if there is a shad die off, the East shoreline will be the the place for some good pickin's.   Anybody ever use salted shad for bait, on the area lakes?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account